NCIS, season premiere at 8pm on CBS
– NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Service) is more than just an action drama. With liberal doses of humor, it’s a show that focuses on the sometimes complex and always amusing dynamics of a team forced to work together in high-stress situations. NCIS Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs, a former Marine gunnery sergeant, whose skills as an investigator are unmatched, leads this troupe of colorful personalities. Gibbs, a man of few words, only needs a look to explain it all. The team includes NCIS Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo, an ex-homicide detective whose instincts in the field are unparalleled and whose quick wit and humorous take on life make him a team favorite; the youthful and energetic forensic specialist Abby Sciuto, a talented scientist whose sharp mind matches her Goth style and eclectic tastes, NCIS Special Agent Timothy McGee, an MIT graduate whose brilliance with computers far overshadows his insecurities in the field, and the newest member of the team, Eleanor “Ellie” Bishop, a former NSA analyst . Assisting the team is medical examiner Dr. Donald “Ducky” Mallard, who knows it all because he’s seen it all, and he’s not afraid to let you know. Rounding out the team is NCIS director Leon Vance, an intelligent, highly trained agent who can always be counted on to shake up the status quo. From murder and espionage to terrorism and stolen submarines, these special agents travel the globe to investigate all crimes with Navy or Marine Corps ties.
Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, season premiere at 9pm on ABC
– Clark Gregg reprises his role of Agent Phil Coulson from Marvel’s feature films, as he assembles a small, highly select group of Agents from the worldwide law-enforcement organization known as S.H.I.E.L.D. Together they investigate the new, the strange, and the unknown across the globe, protecting the ordinary from the extraordinary. Coulson’s team consists of Agent Grant Ward (Brett Dalton), highly trained in combat and espionage; Agent Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen), expert pilot and martial artist; Agent Leo Fitz (Iain De Caestecker), brilliant engineer; and Agent Jemma Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge), genius bio-chemist. Joining them on their journey into mystery is new recruit and computer hacker, Skye (Chloe Bennet). In season 1, a massive battle took place with the evil organization HYDRA and S.H.I.E.L.D. was completely dismantled. Skye discovered her mentor Ward is loyal to Garrett, the leader of HYDRA, which has been infiltrating the organization for years. Coulson and the remaining loyal members of his team took down Ward and Garrett but there are casualties. The fate of Fitz remains in question after he showed Simmons how he feels by risking his life to save her. Agent Coulson is called upon to rebuild S.H.I.E.L.D., as the truth behind what the organization is supposed to be about lies within his heart.
NCIS: New Orleans, series premiere at 9pm on CBS
– NCIS: New Orleans is a drama about the local field office that investigates criminal cases affecting military personnel in The Big Easy, a city known for its music, entertainment and decadence. Leading the team is Special Agent Dwayne Pride, aka “King,” a native of New Orleans who is driven by his need to do what is right. Working with Pride is Special Agent Christopher LaSalle, who plays hard but works harder; and Special Agent Meredith “Merri” Brody, a charismatic and tough interrogator who transferred from the Great Lakes office in search of a fresh start. Supporting them is coroner Dr. Loretta Wade, who is as eccentric as she is smart. This colorful city that harbors a dark side is a magnet for service personnel on leave, and when overindulgence is followed by trouble, Pride’s team is at its best.
Chicago Fire, season premiere at 10pm on NBC
– Last season’s building collapse has devastating consequences. Even for people who made it, there’s what lingers for them afterward injury-wise or just emotionally. Expect personnel shifts in the wake as Dawson’s (Monica Raymund) intention to marry Casey (Jesse Spencer) complicates her move to Truck, and a new paramedic (Kara Killmer), a runaway bride from Indiana, arrives on Ambo.
Person of Interest, season premiere at 10pm on CBS
After escaping assisination by the hostile surveillance system Samaritan, Team Machine finds itself using guerilla tactics to survive. The whole team is in a state of confusion and distress. No place is safe. Under Samaritan’s threatening scrutiny (enacted in part by a murderous new operative played by Mad Men’s Cara Buono), this season ponders a future where the data stops working for us, and we start working for the data. “We become the robots,” says creator Jonathan Nolan.
Awkward, season premiere at 10pm on MTV
– This series takes an irreverent look at the conflict, chaos and humor that defines teenage life through the eyes of 15-year-old Jenna Hamilton, whose life begins to change when a simple accident becomes an epic misunderstanding and is blown way out of proportion. Narrated in the first-person voice of Jenna’s blog posts, Awkward. captures the humor within the struggles and experiences everyone can relate to from their formative years. The series picks up in the aftermath of the accident as she must deal with a new not-so-fun stigma, while at the same time managing the other daily drama that comes with being a teenager. From a secret relationship with a popular guy, to being undermined by a mean girl, and parents who just don’t get it – Jenna’s misfortune will eventually serve as the catalyst for amazing change, but it’s not without some missteps and mishaps along the way.
Faking It, season premiere at 10:30pm on MTV
– Faking It, a romantic comedy series, returns to MTV for season 2. This season, everyone is faced with a dilemma that forces them to tell the truth or keep a secret. Best friends Amy (Rita Volk) and Karma (Katie Stevens) struggle with figuring out their relationship after Amy revealed her true feelings for Karma. Questions are answered – will Karma find out about Liam (Gregg Sulkin) and Amy’s hook-up? What will happen to Karmy? Will Liam and Karma get back together? What are Lauren’s (Bailey De Young) pills for? Can Shane (Michael Willett) really be in a celibate relationship?