Sunday July 27th
Manhattan, series premiere at 9pm on WGN America
– Set against the backdrop of the mission to build the world’s first atomic bomb, Manhattan follows the brilliant but flawed scientists and their families as they attempt to co-exist in a world where secrets and lies infiltrate every aspect of their lives.
Ice Lake Rebels, series premiere at 10pm on Animal Planet
– The freeze and thaw periods are the two most deadly times of the year on Great Slave Lake among Canada’s Northwest Territories. This series follows a handful of survivalists as they hunt for food, drill for water, trade for necessities and protect their turf. It’s a lawless frozen lake of ultra-libertarians forced together during brutal winters. Choosing another kind of lifestyle, these rebels have bid farewell to living life the conventional way on land and traded it in for floating homes and houseboats… Since they don’t live on land, they don’t pay taxes, and, therefore, no one polices them. The very things that we take for granted – from opening the front door, to walking your pet, to shopping for groceries and supplies – are incredibly difficult to navigate. As one rebel says, “It’s not man you have to worry about; it’s woman” – Mother Nature.
Monday, July 28th
Running Wild With Bear Grylls, series premiere at 8pm on NBC
– In this new hour-long alternative series, the famed adventurer and survivalist will take six celebrities into the wildest and most remote locations in the U.S. and around the world for a 48-hour journey of a lifetime. The celebrities who will be partnered one-on-one with Grylls in their own stand-alone episodes include actor Zac Efron (“Neighbors”), actor-director Ben Stiller (“The Secret Life of Walter Mitty”), actor Channing Tatum (“22 Jump Street”), NFL Hall of Famer Deion Sanders, actor Tom Arnold (“Sons of Anarchy”) and MSNBC and Today anchor Tamron Hall. Each of the celebrities endures the harsh wilderness in high-octane, action-based and empowering journeys spread over six remote locations. From skydiving into the Catskill Mountains, to rappelling down the cliffs of Utah and battling torrential wind and rain in Scotland, Grylls and each celebrity will have to push both their minds and bodies to the limit to successfully complete their journey.
Tuesday, July 29th
Dance Moms, season premiere at 9pm on Lifetime
– New Year…New Team? What Abby Lee Miller says, goes and when she says, “Everyone is replaceable,” she means it! For the fourth season of Lifetime’s hit docuseries, Abby will take to the road with a national scouting tour in search for the country’s most elite young dancers. With the threat of new dancers coming into the company, the dance moms will stop at nothing to make sure their girls have a place to shine on stage, even if it means going up against Abby.
Wednesday, July 30th
Penn & Teller: Fool Us, series premiere at 8pm on The CW
– Penn & Teller: Fool Us is a one-hour competition series celebrating magic and featuring the legendary duo Penn & Teller. On each episode, aspiring magicians are invited to perform their best trick to try and fool the world-famous team of Penn & Teller. Anyone who succeeds wins the right to perform with Penn & Teller in their celebrated show at the Rio Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. The live studio audience and the TV audience watch along with Penn & Teller as they try to figure out the secrets. Penn and Teller see the trick only once and have to immediately try to work it out. The live studio audience knows there are no camera tricks, secret edits or helpful camera cuts. This is all real magic. British television and radio personality Jonathan Ross (Friday Night with Jonathan Ross) serves as host.
Thursday, July 31st
The Quest, series premiere at 8pm on ABC
– ABC is taking viewers on the ultimate geek fantasy in a combination of reality TV and Middle-earth. The Executive Producer of “The Lord of the Rings” has joined forces with the creators and producers of The Amazing Race to conjure a land of magic and malevolence, where mythical creatures lurk in the woods. For 12 lucky souls, a fantastic world will come alive in a unique competition series where players will engage in epic challenges. After a series of battles and competitions, only the true hero will remain.
The Honorable Woman, miniseries premiere at 10pm on Sundance TV
– As children, Nessa Stein (Maggie Gyllenhaal) and her brother Ephra (Andrew Buchan) witnessed the assassination of their father, a well-known Israeli arms manufacturer. Now in her thirties, Nessa has taken control of the company and refocused its purpose on connecting Palestine and Israel to promote peace. Her efforts have resulted in an appointment from the House of Lords. Everything comes to a head when a secret from her past threatens to be exposed and those closest to her are potentially her most dangerous enemies.
Friday, August 1st
Redwood Kings, series premiere at 9pm on Animal Planet
– Redwood Kings uncovers the artistry that goes into turning ancient reclaimed redwood trees into hand-crafted, one-of-a-kind, creative works of art. Twin brothers and tree titans, Ron and John Daniels, work side-by-side at family-owned, 15-year-old theming company, Daniels Wood Land, creating carvings of animated characters, feature film and theme park facades, and even custom play houses and tree houses! It isn’t all a forest fairy tale, however – things can turn splintery when “little” brother Ron to turns off the chainsaw and reins in John “the carving cowboy.” Keeping every project on schedule and on budget is no easy task, but Davis’ crew of 40 carpenters, designers, artists and engineers pull off jaw-dropping specimens of art. To a novice, it’s hard to believe their amazing handy-work and painstakingly detailed pieces are actually made of wood.
David Tutera Unveiled, series premiere at 9pm on WE tv
– This season, viewers get an all-access, behind-the- scenes look at event planner David Tutera’s fabulous parties, his personal life, and his crazy creative process. This is one of the most dramatic years of David’s life. His ten-year marriage is over, and he is having a baby! This season, we get access to David’s Bel Air mansion home that is “operation central” for Tutera West Coast. In the midst of planning for the birth of his daughter and overseeing a creative empire, David juggles demanding brides, dueling in-laws, and sulky teenagers as they hurtle towards their big day. No matter the obstacles, David’s creativity, vision, and daringness always surface as he creates a dream wedding or sumptuous event that reflects his bold style and sense of grandeur. This season, David plans several outrageous weddings, from a glittering Broadway affair to a Rockin’ Runway spectacular, and stunning events, like a Super 17 hip hop bash for the daughter of Basketball Wives’ Tami Roman with DaBrat as the special guest and an Immaculate Reception for reality star Shayne Lamas and her notorious husband, Nik Ritchie. We will also be with David for the biggest day of his life- bringing home his baby.
The Killing, season premiere streaming on Netflix
– It all comes down to this: the fourth and final season of the critically acclaimed crime thriller is a six-episode Netflix original that wraps up loose ends and reveals long-buried secrets. Detectives Linden and Holder return to investigate a gruesome mass slaying that exposes a dark family history, while trying to cover up a crime they committed.
Saturday, August 2nd
Hell on Wheels, season premiere at 9pm on AMC
– Centered on the lawless town known as Hell on Wheels that travels with and services the construction of the first transcontinental railroad, this period western examines the railroad’s institutionalized greed and corruption, the immigrant experience, and the plight of the newly emancipated African-Americans during reconstruction. The series stars Anson Mount as former confederate soldier Cullen Bohannon, who is struggling to escape his demons from the recently-fought Civil War; Colm Meaney as Thomas “Doc” Durant, a greedy entrepreneur taking full advantage of the changing times, and Common as Elam Ferguson, an emancipated slave working to achieve true freedom in a world entrenched in prejudice. Season 3 ended with Cullen Bohannon married to a pregnant Naomi Hatch (MacKenzie Porter) and living in the Mormon fort where The Swede (Christopher Heyerdahl) was impersonating church leader Bishop Dutson; Thomas Durant back in control of the Union Pacific Railroad, which had successfully expanded westward to Cheyenne; and Elam gravely injured by a bear while searching for the missing Cullen. As Season 4 unfolds, civilization makes its way west with the railroad, bringing with it men who attempt to do with their pens what rougher men did in seasons past with their guns. Conflict between government and big business, ranchers, homesteaders and the railroad will continue to define the drama as all of those interests compete with one another for control of Cheyenne, Wyoming, the “Magic City of the Plains,” and the most important railroad hub in the country. The season will also introduce several new characters including John Campbell (Jake Weber).