Sunday, March 23rd
American Dream Builders, series premiere at 8pm on NBC
– Showcasing the talents of the most accomplished designers and homebuilders in the country, American Dream Builders will pit 12 worthy contestants against one another in a high-stakes competition designed to push everyone’s creative reach. The show will celebrate creativity and style while revealing magazine-worthy home transformations. With each weekly episode, two teams will take on a brand new project and be asked to redesign and renovate the space from the inside out – all in a matter of days. From Spanish to Tudor to midcentury modern, the designers will be expected to produce sweeping home renovations that bring a fresh, modern sensibility while remaining true to the home’s innate charm and design characteristics. Joining Berkus on the show as judges are Eddie George and interior design expert Monica Pedersen. Berkus, George and Pedersen will review the finished work and determine which team achieved the best results. After facing the panel of judges, the losing team must send one member home. In the finale episode, the last two designers will take on renovations for two impressive Southern California homes, bringing their unique vision to life.
Drop Dead Diva, 2-hour season premiere at 9pm on Lifetime
– All will finally be revealed in the final season of Lifetime’s critically-acclaimed hit series Drop Dead Diva with a special two-hour premiere. Starring Brooke Elliott and Emmy Award nominee Margaret Cho, Lifetime’s comedy darling follows the story of shallow model Deb who suddenly dies in an accident only to find her soul resurfacing in the body of a brilliant, plus-sized attorney, Jane. At the close of last season, Jane (Elliott) thought she would finally have her happy ending with Grayson (Hurst), until Brittany (Old Jane) revealed to Grayson that Jane isn’t who he thinks she is. In the season six premiere, Jane is forced to finally tell the truth to Grayson, but his reaction leaves her more lost than ever. Meanwhile Owen gets a visit from his estranged brother Charlie (Egglesfield) that puts his personal life and the firm at risk. As Jane buries herself in work once again to hide from the problems in her life, she discovers her new pro bono case has high stakes with the U.S. government. With Kim (Levering) on maternity leave, a new lawyer, Belinda (Williams) joins the firm and gives Jane a run for her money.
Tuesday, March 25th
The Story of the Jews with Simon Schama, miniseries premiere at 8pm on PBS
– Prize winning author of fifteen books and Emmy-Award winner Simon Schama brings to life Jewish history and experience in a new five-part documentary series The Story of the Jews with Simon Schama. The five-hour series follows Schama – who has written and presented 50 documentaries on art, literature and history, as he travels from Russia and the Ukraine to Egypt, Israel and Spain, exploring the imprint that Jewish culture has made on the world and the drama of suffering, resilience and rebirth that has gone with it. The series is at the same time, a personal journey for Schama who has been immersed in Jewish history since his postwar childhood; a meditation on its dramatic trajectory, and a macro- history of a people whose mark on the world has been out of all proportion to its modest numbers.
Jim Henson’s Creature Shop Challenge, series premiere at 10pm on Syfy
– Jim Henson’s Creature Shop Challenge is a competition series featuring ten aspiring creature creators competing to out-imagine one another in a series of challenges where they will build everything from mechanical characters to whimsical beasts, bringing high-end inanimate creature designs to life. The contestants compete for a prize worth up to $100,000 including the opportunity for the job of a lifetime – a contract working at the world-renowned Jim Henson’s Creature Shop. Brian Henson, Chairman of The Jim Henson Company and the Creature Shop, will serve as lead judge on the series. He will be joined by additional judges Beth Hathaway (a Creature Fabricator who has worked on such projects as “Jurassic Park”, The Walking Dead and “Edward Scissorhands”) and Kirk R. Thatcher (a Creature Designer with credits such as “Return of the Jedi”, “Gremlins” and “E.T.”). Gigi Edgley, best known for her role on Farscape, will serve as host. Serving as mentors on the series will be world-renowned designer Peter Brooke, mechanization and animatronics master John Criswell and fabrication and artistic specialist Julie Zobel. The three are longtime Creature Shop artists who have dedicated their talents to the Henson legacy. Their tenures with The Jim Henson Company span decades and they bring a specialized knowledge having collaborated directly with Jim Henson himself.
Saturday, March 29th
Nickelodeon’s 27th Annual Kids’ Choice Awards, live awards show from 8 to 9:30pm on Nickelodeon
– Mark Wahlberg has many skills: rapping, posing in his underwear, surviving enemy fire, producing a hit show, talking to animals. But can the ex-Funky Buncher — and Kids’ Choice Awards host — stomach getting slimed? Presenter Tia Mowry-Hardict thinks so. ”He needs to be prepared. You should always have that in mind,” she says. Also? ”Bring earplugs. This is a like a concert audience on speed.” Featuring performances by American Authors and Aloe Blacc, presenters including Will Arnett and Kristen Bell, and an award for Favorite Buttkicker, this is the messiest awards show around — and a much-needed antidote to stuffier events.