Sunday, August 4th
Secret Millionaire, season premiere at 8pm on ABC
– The secret’s out! Some of America’s most successful self-made millionaires are embarking on a truly incredible journey. They will spend a week in the country’s poorest areas and ultimately reward some unsung community heroes with hundreds of thousands of dollars of their own money. Based on the hit UK series of the same name, each episode of Secret Millionaire follows one of America’s most successful business people for a week as they leave the comforts of home behind. They’ll keep their true identities hidden while living in some of the country’s most impoverished neighborhoods. Residing in local housing on welfare-level wages, these “secret millionaires” will try to find the most deserving people within the community. We’re talking about those selfless individuals who continually sacrifice everything to help anyone in need, and ultimately encourage others to do the same. Throughout this incredible experience, the millionaires will come face-to-face with some truly extraordinary people who put their own needs aside for the sake of others. At the end of the journey, they’ll reveal their true identity and donate their own money to these local heroes. It’s a life-changing moment you won’t want to miss.
Ride-iculous, season premiere at 8:30pm on Travel
– Strap in for insane and gut-wrenching rides, as we take extreme to a whole new level! Ride-iculous celebrates the craziest thrill rides and adrenaline attractions that aren’t waterslides or roller coasters.
Shark After Dark, series premiere at 11pm on Discovery
– Summer’s longest-running must-see TV event Shark Week returns this year accompanied with its first ever live Shark Week talk show Shark After Dark, hosted by comedian Josh Wolf who is best known for his regular appearances on E!’s Chelsea Lately. In each nightly episode, Wolf will lead viewers through an hour-long celebration of all things shark-related that will include celebrity guests, shark experts and shark attack survivors, among others. The show will give viewers the first opportunity to interact live on-air every night with tweets, questions to the shark experts and more. “It’s shameful that the shark demographic has been neglected for so long by late night TV,” said Executive Producer Craig Ferguson, host of CBS’ Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson.
Tuesday, August 6th
The Legend of Shelby the Swampman, series premiere at 10pm on History
– For four seasons, we’ve followed Shelby Stanga’s logging exploits in the swamps and lakes of southern Louisiana. But logging has always been just one way he keeps himself entertained. Now, for the first time, we’re getting an inside look at his life when he’s not logging. Shelby begins this season with a big problem: Hurricane Isaac flooded his houseboat, and now he has nowhere to live. With the help of a boat broker, Shelby must leave the swamp and enter the real world, confronting new experiences that push him well past his comfort level. With great risk comes great reward, though, and Shelby manages to find the perfect houseboat that is as unique as him. The only problem is that it’s way over his budget, and now he’s got a mortgage looming. To keep the bill collectors at bay, Shelby embarks on one odd job after another; nothing is too dangerous or bizarre for Shelby to try. From working at a gator farm to clearing swamp rats from a house and from deep-sea fishing to hog hunting, Shelby will do it all but always on his own terms. This is Shelby’s world with Shelby’s rules. This is the Legend of Shelby the Swamp Man.
Wednesday, August 7th
Million Dollar Listing Los Angeles, season premiere at 9pm on Bravo
– Bravo Media sets the bar high when the sunny Los Angeles skyline meets the cutthroat world of the Los Angeles real estate market in the sixth season of Million Dollar Listing Los Angeles. The market has rebounded and Josh Altman, Josh Flagg, and Madison Hildebrand are pulling out all the stops to nab their million-dollar listing and get it sold. Although inventory is low, the resurgence of their high end clients have the guys buying and selling sprawling multi-million dollar estates from the high-priced peaks of Malibu to the most exorbitant pads on the Sunset Strip. Wanting a bigger slice of the pie, they quickly come to realize there is not enough room for all three of them in Los Angeles.
Broadchurch, series premiere at 10pm on BBC America
– BBC America’s Broadchurch, which earned critical acclaim, including BAFTA nods, and broken records on Twitter in the UK, centers on the investigation into the murder of a young boy in a British seaside town. Leading the investigation are two detectives – the strong yet compassionate local Detective Sergeant, Ellie Miller (Olivia Colman), and the by-the-book Detective Inspector Alec Hardy (David Tennant), Ellie’s newly appointed boss. By circumstance they are partnered to solve the murder, keeping the newspapers from derailing the investigation and trying to prevent the crime from impacting tourism at the beach where the boy was murdered.
Friday, August 9th
Strike Back, season premiere at 10pm on Cinemax
– A high-octane, globe-spanning thriller with storylines ripped from today’s headlines, Strike Back, the network’s first original primetime series in more than 15 years, focuses on two members of a top-secret intelligence agency known as Section 20: Michael Stonebridge, a British sergeant on the elite counter-terrorism team, and Damien Scott, a former U.S. Delta Force operative who was discharged on the eve of the U.S. invasion of Iraq. Stonebridge, Scott and the rest of Section 20 criss-cross the globe on the trail of a deadly international terrorist named Latif, who is planning a major attack involving a cache of WMD that could have global repercussions.
Saturday, August 10th
The White Queen, series premiere at 8pm on Starz
– The White Queen is a riveting portrayal of one of the most dramatic and turbulent times in English history. A story of love and lust, seduction and deception, betrayal and murder, it is uniquely told through the perspective of three different, yet equally relentless women – Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret Beaufort and Anne Neville. In their quest for power, they will scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. The year is 1464, before the Tudor dynasty ruled the country, and war has been ravaging throughout England over who is the rightful King. It is a bitter dispute between two sides of the same family, The House of York and The House of Lancaster. The House of York’s young and handsome Edward IV is crowned King of England with the help of the master manipulator, Lord Warwick “The Kingmaker.” But when Edward falls in love with a beautiful Lancastrian commoner, Elizabeth Woodville, Warwick’s plan to control the throne comes crashing down. A violent, high-stakes struggle ensues between Elizabeth, her most fierce adversary, Lancastrian Margaret Beaufort, and Anne Neville, the pawn in her father’s power game – each woman vying for the crown.
Hell on Wheels, 2-hour season premiere at 9pm on AMC
– AMC’s western series Hell on Wheels stars Anson Mount as former confederate soldier Cullen Bohannon, who is struggling to escape his demons from the recently fought Civil War. Colm Meaney stars as Thomas “Doc” Durant, a greedy entrepreneur taking full advantage of the changing times, and musician/actor Common is Elam Ferguson, an emancipated slave working to achieve true freedom in a world entrenched in prejudice. Hell on Wheels received a 2012 Emmy nomination for outstanding original main title theme music. Centered on the lawless town known as Hell on Wheels that travels with and services the construction of the first transcontinental railroad, the series examines the railroad’s institutionalized greed and corruption, the immigrant experience and the plight of the newly emancipated African-Americans during reconstruction.