Sunday, June 30th
BET Awards ’13, live awards show from 8 to 11:30pm on BET
– Silver Linings Playbook’s Chris Tucker hosts tonight’s awards show, which is airing live from L.A.’s Nokia Theatre. Drake leads the nominees with 12 potential trophies, which could make for an awkward backstage moment with nemesis Chris Brown, who’s scheduled to perform. Even more awkward? The fact that “Sparkle” is nominated as one of the year’s best movies.
Dexter, season premiere at 9pm on Showtime
– He’s smart, he’s good looking, and he’s got a great sense of humor. He’s Dexter Morgan (Golden Globe winner Michael C. Hall), everyone’s favorite serial killer. As a Miami forensics expert, he spends his days solving crimes, and nights committing them. But Dexter lives by a strict code of honor that is both his saving grace and lifelong burden. Torn between his deadly compulsion and his desire for true happiness, Dexter is a man in profound conflict with the world and himself. Last season, Dexter came clean to his sister Debra (Jennifer Carpenter), who learned the hard way how difficult it is to keep Dexter’s secret. Dexter also found true love with fellow serial killer Hannah McKay, who he reluctantly sent to jail after she poisoned and nearly killed Debra. Also, LaGuerta got closer to pinning the Bay Harbor Butcher killings on Dexter so Dexter lured her to a crime scene and drugged her, ready to kill her when Debra walked in and begged him to stop. LaGuerta came to and told Debra to kill him, but she shot and killed LaGuerta instead to save her brother. The eighth and final season picks up six months after the Season 7 finale with Dexter in an uncomfortable place. He’s lost contact with his sister (they haven’t spoken in a month), the death of LaGuerta is still very much a thing, and then there’s Evelyn Vogel (Charlotte Rampling, “Spy Game”), the shrink who suddenly volunteers to help out Miami Metro as a means of getting close to him.
Ray Donovan, series premiere at 10pm on Showtime
– Set in the sprawling mecca of the rich and famous, Ray Donovan does the dirty work for LA’s top power players. The new one-hour series stars Emmy and Golden Globe Award nominee Liev Schreiber in his first lead television role as the go-to guy who makes the problems of the city’s celebrities, superstar athletes, and business moguls disappear. This powerful drama unfolds when his father, played by Oscar winner Jon Voight, is unexpectedly released from prison, setting off a chain of events that shakes the Donovan family to its core.
Monday, July 1st
Below Deck, series premiere at 10pm on Bravo
– This new reality series follows a group of crewmembers living and working aboard “Honor,” a 164’ mega-yacht. The upstairs and downstairs worlds collide when this young and single crew, known as “yachties,” live, love, and work together on-board the luxurious, privately-owned yacht while tending to the ever-changing needs of their wealthy, demanding charter guests. While each crew member brings a different level of experience, they all share a love for this lifestyle that enables them to travel to some of the most beautiful and exotic locales in the world. Each episode features a different set of charter guests moving onto the boat from millionaires, to entertainers to hard-partying groups of well-heeled friends.
Wednesday, July 3rd
Donut Showdown, series premiere at 10pm on Cooking Channel
– Donut Showdown takes the donut to epicurean heights. Donuts are the new cupcakes –– the latest trendy treat. Hosted by Danny Boome, Donut Showdown brings an expert panel of judges to the diner kitchen to decide which fried treats will make the cut and which ones will cause the judges’ eyes to ‘glaze’ over.” Each episode sees three of the best donut makers from across North America test their creativity in our diner kitchen to win the $10,000 cash prize.
Thursday, July 4th
Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular, live special from 8 to 10pm on NBC
– NBC celebrates the nation’s 237th birthday with a live broadcast of the Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular, hosted by America’s Got Talent’s Nick Cannon and featuring all-star performances by multi-platinum singer-songwriter Mariah Carey, Grammy award-winning Tim McGraw and others. The 37th annual fireworks spectacular is the nation’s largest patriotic pyrotechnic display with over 40,000 fireworks igniting the sky over the Hudson River. This year’s show will also feature a first-ever, one-of-a-kind collaboration with global superstar Usher. For the first time in the history of the show, a superstar artist is collaborating with Macy’s creative and pyrotechnic teams. Lending his artistic inspiration and talent, eight-time Grammy award-winning artist Usher is curating the overall design of the show, entitled “It Begins with a Spark.” From the rousing musical selections to the spectacular fireworks in the sky, Usher is putting his visionary stamp on the nation’s biggest Independence Day party.
Friday, July 5th
Charlie Rose Weekend, series premiere at 8:30pm on PBS
– This new half-hour series hosted by acclaimed journalist Charlie Rose will feature the iconic television anchor’s focus on the events and conversations shaping the week and the week ahead. Drawing on conversations from his nightly PBS program and new insightful perspectives from around the world, it will capture the defining moments in politics, science, business, culture, media and sports in a fresh, engaged, and smart presentation.
Monster Fish, season premiere at 10pm on Nat Geo Wild
– In his quest to save the world’s big fish, aquatic ecologist Zeb Hogan has wrangled what’s currently the world’s biggest known freshwater species, the Mekong Giant Catfish. But is it really the biggest? We’ll join Zeb as he travels the globe, seeking out the leading contenders in a quest to better understand them as he fights to protect them. It’s a heart-pounding adventure as Zeb heads into some remote areas and wild waters, braving piranha, crocodiles, and a host of other hazards. Along the way, he’ll explore the local haunts and find out how these massive creatures figure into the local culture-the lore surrounding them, their role in the ecosystem, awesome physical features, strange behavior, and the surprising cycles of life that transform a thumb-sized larvae into a 400-pound beast.