Sunday, April 7th
48th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards, live awards show from 8 to 11pm
– The ACMs are pretty much the Golden Globes of country music. They aren’t as prestigious as the CMAs, and the have a few dubious voting rules (namely, that fans choose the Entertainer of the Year award), but they also have a reputation for being the rowdiest of all the country ceremonies—mostly due to their Las Vegas locale. This year, bromantic buds Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton host the show, which will feature performances from Little Big Town, Kelly Clarkson, and George Strait/Garth Brooks in a tribute to Dick Clark. Eric Church is the favorite to win the coveted Album of the year trophy, but the race that may draw more attention is New Artist of the Year, since it pits the newly engaged Jena Kramer and Brantley Gilbert against each other. For the sake of their marriage, let’s all hope Florida Georgia Line take the prize instead.
Cupcake Wars, season premiere at 8pm on Food
– It’s cupcake vs. cupcake in Food Network’s tastiest competition yet! Each week on Cupcake Wars, four of the country’s top cupcake bakers face off in three elimination challenges until only one decorator remains. The sweet prize: $10,000 and the opportunity to showcase their cupcakes at the winning gig. Whether a special Ace of Cakes anniversary celebration, a star-studded magazine party or an A-list celebrity golf tournament, these Cupcakes Wars really heat up. Candace Nelson (owner of Sprinkles Cupcakes) and Florian Bellanger (chef and co-owner of online macaroon company MadMac) serve as permanent judges with a third rotating judge each week, and Justin Willman hosts.
Mad Men, 2-hour season premiere at 9pm on AMC
– Set in 1960s New York, the sexy, stylized and provocative AMC drama Mad Men follows the lives of the ruthlessly competitive men and women of Madison Avenue advertising, an ego-driven world where key players make an art of the sell. The series revolves around the conflicted world of Don Draper (Jon Hamm), the biggest ad man (and ladies man) in the business, and his colleagues at the Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce Advertising Agency. As Don makes the plays in the boardroom and the bedroom, he struggles to stay a step ahead of the rapidly changing times and the young executives nipping at his heels. The series also depicts authentically the roles of men and women in this era while exploring the true human nature beneath the guise of 1960s traditional family values.
River Monsters, season premiere at 9pm on Animal Planet
– For three successful seasons of Animal Planet’s River Monsters extreme angler Jeremy Wade has taken viewers along as he unravels freshwater fish tales of giant killers — where sometimes the fact really is stranger than the fiction! These voyages have taken him across the globe to waterways far and wide, all on an endless search for man-eating creatures that lurk below. He’s caught dozens of these elusive beasts, typically in remote jungles and unexplored lands. But this time, Wade’s journey begins in a familiar territory — America’s backyards. In his first investigation of season four, he takes viewers to Florida, Texas, Missouri and Oklahoma in search of all-American man-eaters in the two-hour River Monsters season opener.
Tuesday, April 9th
Ready for Love, 2-hour series premiere at 9pm on NBC
– NBC’s new dating competition series answers the age-old question: How far would you go to find your soul mate? Three of America’s most eligible guys are about to find out. Executive Producer Eva Longoria (Desperate Housewives) hand selected three successful and handsome men who are committed to finding the right women with whom to share their lives. Ben Patton, a financier from Dallas, Texas; Tim Lopez, a musician from Santa Barbara, California and Ernesto Arguello, a philanthropist from Miami, Florida will vie for the chance to find true love. In order to find their ideal partners, Longoria has enlisted the help of the three best matchmakers in the world. The series begins with the matchmakers’ nationwide search for the potential perfect mate for each man, and then launches into a romantic journey that will combine in-studio competition and reality show elements. Each week, the women who fail to make a connection with the men will be sent home. In an intense finale, the quest for love culminates when the three men choose their final three women who together must decide if they’ll get engaged, married, or simply live happily ever after. No matter what happens, they will all discover if they are really Ready for Love.
The Kandi Factory, series premiere at 10pm on Bravo
– Bravo’s new music reality series follows former member of the platinum-selling music group Xscape and Grammy award-winning singer/songwriter Kandi Burruss as she helps 16 aspiring artists jumpstart their dreams of success in the music industry. Having written mega-hits like “No Scrubs,” for TLC and “Bills, Bills, Bills” and “Bug A Boo” for Destiny’s Child, Kandi is a music veteran with an incredible eye for talent. In each stand-alone episode, she will put everything on the line by offering two protégés with no industry experience an opportunity of a lifetime – to master the key elements that make a star and a chance to fulfill their dreams. Kandi recognizes something special in each of the contestants and through the process she hopes to discover the next rising star. The winner of each episode who creates a lasting impression on Kandi and her team will score the ultimate career break — an original song based on their personal life and written by Kandi herself, plus, a music video produced by her accomplished team.
Thursday, April 11th
The Moment, series premiere at 10pm on USA
– For anyone who believes in second chances comes USA’s new unscripted original series The Moment. Hosted by legendary NFL quarterback Kurt Warner, The Moment will give ordinary Americans the opportunity to realize their dreams and rewrite their life stories. Each week, Kurt will surprise one nominee with a unique offer: a second chance to pursue the career they’ve always dreamed of, from race car driver to costume designer to sports photographer. Traveling far from their homes and families to pursue their calling under the guidance of expert mentors, each hopeful will prepare for the interview of a lifetime. In the end, they will find out whether they still have what it takes to pursue this career or if they’ve been living their dream life all along.
Friday, April 12th
Swamp’d, series premiere at 8pm on Animal Planet
– Swamp’d takes place at Louisiana’s P’Maw’s Bait Shack, which is located in the small town of Pierre Part. The eight-episode series follows the employees and customers of the family-owned shop as they sell unique bait and hunt bullfrogs, among other things. In the series premiere, P’Maw’s prettiest customer charms him into promising the impossible: to find rare fish eggs in the middle of the sweltering summer. Meanwhile, the battle is on between Corey and T-Monkey over who works the night shift at the shop.
Da Vinci’s Demons, series premiere at 10pm on Starz
– In a world where thought and faith are controlled, one man fights to set knowledge free. The secret history of Leonardo da Vinci’s tantalizing life reveals a portrait of a young man tortured by a gift of superhuman genius. He is a heretic intent on exposing the lies of religion. An insurgent seeking to subvert an elitist society. A bastard son who yearns for legitimacy with his father. He finds himself in the midst of a storm that has been brewing for centuries. A conflict between truth and lies, religion and reason, past and future. His aspirations are used against him by the opposing forces of the time—luring him into a game of seduction where those who despise his intellect need him most. Leonardo must take up the fight against foes who use history to suppress the truth. A hero armed only with genius, da Vinci stands alone against the darkness within, and the darkness without. Facing an uncertain future, his quest for knowledge nearly becomes his undoing as he explores the fringes of his own sanity. Da Vinci throws himself into his genius and emerges as an unstoppable force that lifts an entire era out of darkness and propels it into light. His story becomes a mirror into our own world, calling us all to join his fight to Free the Future.
Saturday, April 13th
Iyanla: Fix My Life, series premiere at 9pm on OWN
– Iyanla Vanzant, accomplished author, inspirational speaker, talk show host and living testament to the value in life’s valleys and the power of acting on faith, goes behind closed doors and deep inside people’s lives for emotional, riveting conversations. Iyanla has had a unique life filled with many personal struggles, which she has overcome and used to become stronger. Now, she’s back, helping people fix their lives, using her past to help others’ futures. Secrets will be revealed, truths will be uncovered and emotions will come out as Iyanla teaches us how to pull back the curtain on what is broken in our lives. In the explosive, 90-minute season premiere, Iyanla travels to the hometown of multiplatinum rapper and actor DMX. There she tackles one of the most controversial sessions of her career.
Life With La Toya, series premiere at 10:30pm on OWN
– Life With La Toya takes you inside the always outrageous world of La Toya Jackson—the wild card of showbiz’s most famous family and failed 2-time Celebrity Apprentice contestant—as she tackles love, big business and maybe even parenthood, all on her own unpredictable terms. Life With La Toya gets up close and personal with La Toya Jackson as she juggles the many demands of her famous family, her life long friends, and her growing entertainment business empire. Known as the outspoken one, La Toya is so much more: the fun-loving aunt, devoted daughter, peace-making sister and a woman looking for love, and maybe even a family of her own.
Louis C.K.: Oh My God, comedy special at 10pm on HBO
– Emmy Award-winning stand-up comedian and creator/writer/star of Louie takes the stage for his fourth stand-up comedy special on HBO. Taped at the Celebrity Theatre in Phoenix, the exclusive presentation features Louis C.K. in an all-new performance before a live audience. In Louis C.K.: Oh My God, he discusses such topics as the food chain, animals, divorce, strange anecdotes, broken morality, murder and mortality.