Last Resort, series premiere at 8pm on ABC
– From Shawn Ryan, the creator of The Shield and FOX’s new series Chicago Code, 500 feet beneath the ocean’s surface, the U.S. ballistic missile submarine Colorado receives their orders. Over a radio channel, designed only to be used if their homeland has been wiped out, they’re told to fire nuclear weapons at Pakistan. Captain Marcus Chaplin (Andre Braugher) demands confirmation of the orders only to be unceremoniously relieved of duty by the White House. XO Sam Kendal (Scott Speedman) finds himself suddenly in charge of the submarine and facing the same difficult decision. When he also refuses to fire without confirmation of the orders, the Colorado is targeted, fired upon, and hit. The submarine and its crew find themselves crippled on the ocean floor, declared rogue enemies of their own country. Now, with nowhere left to turn, Chaplin and Kendal take the sub on the run and bring the men and women of the Colorado to an exotic island. Here they will find refuge, romance and a chance at a new life, even as they try to clear their names and get home.
The Big Bang Theory, season premiere at 8pm on CBS
– Leonard and Sheldon are brilliant physicists, the kind of “beautiful minds” that understand how the universe works. But none of that genius helps them interact with people, especially women. All this begins to change when a free-spirited beauty named Penny moves in next door. Sheldon, Leonard’s roommate, is quite content spending his nights playing Klingon Boggle with their socially dysfunctional friends, fellow CalTech scientists Wolowitz and Koothrappali. However, Leonard sees in Penny a whole new universe of possibilities… including love.
Two and a Half Men, season premiere at 8:30pm on CBS
– Emmy Award-nominated Two and a Half Men has been the #1-rated sitcom on television for five of the past six seasons and now it’s made a big move to Thursdays following The Big Bang Theory for what CBS hopes is a comedy power-hour ratings smash. It’s a comedy about men, women, sex, dating, divorce, mothers, single parenthood, money, love and friendship. Walden Schmidt is a lovelorn Internet billionaire with an innocence born out of his lifelong dependence on others to take care of him. After a failed attempt to drown himself in the ocean after his wife kicked him out, a suicidal Walden stumbles into a Malibu beach house, where tightly-wound, twice-divorced chiropractor Alan Harper and his underachieving teenage son, Jake, had been living with Alan’s now-deceased brother for the past eight years. With no place to go, Walden buys the house and invites Alan to remain there, saving Alan from having to move in with his narcissistic, emotionally toxic mother, Evelyn. Walden asks Berta, a domineering, unapologetically blue-collar housekeeper who has been working in the household, to stay as well. Despite his unsuccessful history with women, Alan unexpectedly finds himself mentoring Walden, who has severely limited dating experience. While Walden, Alan and Jake adjust to their new living arrangement, they create a surrogate family unit that promises to make each a better man.
Grey’s Anatomy, season premiere at 9pm on ABC
– When we last left our favorite surgeons, most of the main cast, including Meredith, Cristina and Derek, was stranded in the woods with serious injuries incurred during a horrific plane crash…and nobody back at Seattle Grace had any idea their loved ones were injured and dying. After much teasing by creator Shonda Rhimes about a beloved cast member getting killed off in the season finale, little Grey (Chyler Leigh’s Lexie) unexpectedly died mid-episode, leaving Mark (Eric Dane) in a hopelessly depressed state having lost the love of his life and without a will to survive his own life-threatening injuries. Arizona (Jessica Capshaw) tried to motivate Mark to fight for his life so he could be there for Callie and Sofia. What Mark and the rest of the gang didn’t know was that Arizona was concealing a serious injury and a fast decline in her health that may lead her to be the second one to bite the dust. Meanwhile, back at Seattle Grace, Owen fired Teddy so she can take a better job opportunity as head of MEDCOM (the U.S. Army Medical Command). Back in non-TV world, Dane has confirmed he will be leaving Grey’s this season after a few episodes to tie up his storyline. Whether his character Mark will follow his soul mate Lexie to the other side is still a very big possibility. But this is Grey’s and anything can happen, so perhaps Sofia only has to lose one parent and hopefully not two of the three, I think that would be preferable for me personally.
Person of Interest, season premiere at 9pm on CBS
– CBS’s hit sophomore drama stars Jim Caviezel, Emmy Award winner Michael Emerson (Lost) and Academy Award nominee Taraji P. Henson (“Think Like A Man”) in a crime thriller about a presumed dead former-CIA agent, Reese, who teams up with a mysterious billionaire, Finch, to prevent violent crimes by using their own brand of vigilante justice. Reese’s special training in covert operations appeals to Finch, a software genius who invented a program that uses pattern recognition to identify people about to be involved in violent crimes. Using state-of-the-art surveillance technology, the two work outside of the law to unravel the mystery of the “person of interest” and stop the crime before it happens. In the season finale, homicide detectives Carter and Fusco discovered each other was helping and feeding information to Reese and Finch. In a twist, POI Zoe Morgan had actually put the hit on herself to lure Finch out. It turns out Morgan is really Finch’s nemesis Root and she kidnaps him.
Elementary, series premiere at 10pm on CBS
– Elementary stars Jonny Lee Miller as detective Sherlock Holmes and Lucy Liu as Dr. Joan Watson in a modern-day drama about a crime-solving duo that cracks the NYPD’s most impossible cases. Following his fall from grace in London and a stint in rehab, eccentric Sherlock escapes to Manhattan where his wealthy father forces him to live with his worst nightmare – a sober companion, Dr. Watson. A successful surgeon until she lost a patient and her license three years ago, Watson views her current job as another opportunity to help people, as well as paying a penance. However, the restless Sherlock is nothing like her previous clients. He informs her that none of her expertise as an addiction specialist applies to him and he’s devised his own post-rehab regimen – resuming his work as a police consultant in New York City. Watson has no choice but to accompany her irascible new charge on his jobs. But Sherlock finds her medical background helpful, and Watson realizes she has a knack for playing investigator. Sherlock’s police contact, Capt. Tobias “Toby” Gregson, knows from previous experience working with Scotland Yard that Sherlock is brilliant at closing cases, and welcomes him as part of the team. With the mischievous Sherlock Holmes now running free in New York solving crime, it’s simple deduction that he’s going to need someone to keep him grounded, and it’s elementary that it’s a job for Watson.
Scandal, season premiere at 10pm on ABC
– Everyone has a secret… and Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) has dedicated her life to protecting and defending the public images of the nation’s elite and keeping those secrets under wraps. Revered and feared at the same time, Olivia, a former communications director to the President of the United States, left the White House to open her own prominent crisis management firm. But the biggest scandal of all is her ongoing affair with her former boss, President Fitzgerald Grant. In the cliffhanger season one finale, Olivia and her crew set off to protect the real identity of their newest employee Quinn from law enforcement after she discovered the body of her dying boyfriend, a reporter named Gideon who had been looking into Amanda Tanner case. When Gideon discovered that the Vice President’s Chief of Staff, Billy Chambers, was the true mastermind behind Amanda’s attempt to blackmail the President and her death, Billy murdered Gideon in his own home. When Quinn discovered Gideon laying there dying, she called Olivia who promptly reminded her she can’t be found at the scene of a murder because her prints are in the system and the police will discover her real identity. Olivia and her team cleaned up the crime scene to help hide Quinn’s involvement with Gideon’s death and save President Grant from a scandal that could ruin his presidency. But Assistant State Attorney David Rosen knows that Quinn was at the scene of Gideon’s death and he’s determined to find out what her secret is, leading to the biggest question we viewers have coming into this season: who is Quinn?