Sunday, February 26th
The 84th Annual Academy Awards, special awards show from 8:30 to 11:30pm on ABC
– This year the big question was whether there would be 5 or 10 nominees for Best Picture but the Academy decided neither number was appropriate so it chose 9…Martin Scorsese’s “Hugo” and silent black-and-white film “The Artist” lead the pack with 11 and 10 nominations, respectively. I don’t know about you but I equally enjoyed at least 3 of the nominated films so I’m not even rooting for any one in particular. Christopher Plummer in “Beginners” and Octavia Spencer in “The Help” have been sweeping all the awards shows this season for their supporting roles so they are the obvious frontrunners. The uncertainty comes in regarding the leading categories: Will Viola or Meryl take the top prize? And will George Clooney or Jean Dujardin take the top honor? Who should win is quite debatable so all we have left is to cross our fingers and hope for our favorites to win but all four did a phenomenal job so whatever happens, it promises to be a good time.
Monday, February 27th
The Haney Project, season premiere at 8pm on Golf
– The Haney Project is back and this time Haney faces his toughest challenge yet. Haney has four new students including Chef Mario Batali, Singer Adam Levine, Champion Boxer Sugar Ray Leonard, and Model Angie Everhart. Haney’s students will not only be competing for bragging rights, but for $100,000 to their favorite charity. Plus, Hank brings in a mental coach to fix the mental game and prep his class for competition.
Wednesday, February 29th
America’s Next Top Model, season premiere at 9pm on The CW
– A fierce new edition of America’s Next Top Model returns with Cycle 18 and its first-ever “British Invasion,” featuring former contestants from Britain’s Next Top Model and an all-new crop of American model hopefuls competing for the grand prize. This cycle will feature a variety of seasoned women from across the pond that will do whatever it takes to make it as a model in America. They will compete against not only each other but a group of aspiring American models. Emotions run high, the women are divided and the competition is intense as they vie for the grand prize. Lending their expertise as guest judges this cycle are actress and singer Kelly Osbourne, reality star Kris Jenner, pop star Estelle, Marchesa fashion designer Georgina Chapman, television host Cat Deeley and more. The British favorites and American women battle it out to earn the prestigious title of America’s Next Top Model. They will compete for a career-launching prize package: a modeling contract with LA/NY Models, a chance to be a guest correspondent on the hit newsmagazine Extra, a fashion spread in Vogue Italia and the cover and spread in Beauty In Vogue, the face of ANTM perfume Dream Come True, a single to be released with CBS and a $100,000 contract with CoverGirl cosmetics. Banks leads the panel of judges, comprised of New York Times best-selling author and fashion public relations maven Kelly Cutrone and noted photographer Nigel Barker. Jay Manuel serves as creative director while Miss J. Alexander returns as the runway trainer.
Psych, midseason premiere at 10pm on USA
Thursday, March 1st
Awake, series premiere at 10pm on NBC
– Awake is an intriguing drama about a detective (Jason Isaacs, Harry Potter) who finds he is leading an arduous double life that defies reality. Following a tragic car accident, detective Michael Britten finds himself awake in two separate realities: one where his teen son, Rex, died in the crash and his wife, Hannah, survived and another where Hannah has perished, leaving Michael and Rex to pick up the pieces. In order to keep both of his loved ones alive, Michael begins living in two dueling realities, churning up confusion. In one reality, Michael and his wife debate having another child, while in the other, his son Rex is turning to his tennis coach, Tara (Michaela McManus, The Vampire Diaries), to fill the void from the loss of his mother. Trying to regain some normalcy, Michael returns to solving crimes in both worlds with the help of two different partners, Detective Isaiah “Bird” Freeman (Steve Harris, The Practice) and Detective Efrem Vega (Wilmer Valderrama, That ’70s Show). Michael is assigned a different case in each reality and quickly discovers that his dual existence is actually a powerful tool. He begins to solve impossible cases by using his two realties to gain unique perspectives and link clues that cross over from world to world. Two therapists work to untangle his two worlds, Michael has no interest in proving either one is false. But when memories of the accident begin to haunt him, he is forced to confront the truth about what really happened the night of the crash.
Saturday, March 3rd
¡Q’Viva! The Chosen, series premiere from 8 to 10pm on Fox
– This new docu-series goes straight to the core and touches the heart of the people of Latin America, as it discovers its most authentic, genuine and most talented entertainers, and unites them in one amazing show. Leading the journey to find The Chosen Ones are Creator and Executive Producer Simon Fuller, along with the iconic performers, Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony, and superstar director/choreographer, Jamie King. Between them, they will travel to 21 different Latin American countries and embark on a journey of a lifetime in search of ‘The Chosen.’ This promises to be the most remarkable search and the most extraordinary & authentic Latin American live event in history featuring world-class singers, musicians, dancers, acrobats and other extraordinary performers. ¡Q’Viva! The Chosen gives the people of Latin America a once in a lifetime opportunity to showcase their undiscovered talent, while uniting on one stage, under one banner.
Deadly Sins, series premiere at 9pm on Investigation Discovery
– The seven-part series presented by attorney and criminal behavior expert Darren Kavinoky series examines the true evils that push everyday individuals beyond the limits of the law. Each installment is focused around one of the seven deadly sins, exploring two real-life crimes per episode, with the premiere centering on the theme of greed. So next time you wish you could afford a pair of shoes or want to date an older guy, remember that you’re one basic-cable show away from life in prison.