Sunday, December 4th
Neverland, miniseries premiere at 9pm on Syfy
– Neverland, a prequel to author J.M. Barrie’s classic, Peter Pan, sweeps in time from the turbulent seas of the pirates of the Caribbean and the back alleys of Dickensian London to a world of pure imagination. Peter (Charlie Rowe), along with his pals of young pickpockets, have been rounded up by their mentor Jimmy Hook to snatch a magical orb which transports them to another world – Neverland. Filled with white jungles and imposing cities formed out of trees created by Dr. Fludd and inhabited by a colony of tree spirits led by Tinker Bell (Keira Knightley), this mysterious realm welcomes unknown friends and enemies snatched from time. These include power-mad Elizabeth Bonny and her band of 18th century pirates who search for the answer to eternal youth, a secret guarded by a Holy Man. As the fight to save this strange and beautiful world escalates, Peter and his crew consider that growing old somewhere in time could be less important than growing up—right here in their new home called Neverland. As charming as that might sound, this miniseries is an insult to the classic and timeless story of Peter Pan with subpar acting and 1990 special effects. Comon Syfy get your act together! Aren’t you supposed to be raising the bar when it comes to these types of special effects/graphic things?
Chef Roblé & Co., series premiere at 10pm on Bravo
Chef Roblé Ali was always fascinated with food and cooking and began working in his first professional kitchen at age 15. After quickly being identified as one of the hottest up-and-coming chefs, Roblé worked through the ranks as the youngest sous chef ever at Abigail Kirsch, an elite New York catering company. In this new culinary series from Bravo, Roblé risks it all to cater the biggest events New York City has to offer. Chef Roblé Ali has cooked for everyone from red carpet rock stars to award-winning actors, but nothing has prepared him for the stresses and strains of setting up his own high-end catering company. From a doggie wedding in the Hamptons to a Bollywood inspired birthday party, this series follows Roblé and his team as they create world-class cuisine and produce jaw-dropping events for a range of top-name clients and celebrities, including Rachel Dratch and Kandi Burruss from The Real Housewives of Atlanta.
Monday, December 5th
The Mortified Sessions, series premiere at 8pm on Sundance
– To see a different side of fame, you have to think out of the box…literally. The Mortified Sessions cracks opens a mystery box of the most revealing mementos from a celebrity’s past to shed light on who they are today. From embarrassing teenage photos to love-sick song lyrics, our treasure trove of personal history is always full of surprising and insightful revelations. Whether we lift the lid on laughter or tears, every item is a turning point in a life’s journey. Hosted by David Nadelberg, the creator of the nationwide performance sensation and bestselling book series, Mortified, every episode of The Mortified Sessions introduces you to the true person behind the image. And just as Facebook gives our memories new life, we now can all see a little bit of ourselves in our favorite celebrities. Guest stars revealing deep dark secrets include Ed Helms, Eric Stonestreet, Mo’Nique, Will Forte, Cheryl Hines, Alanis Morissette, and the fabulous Megan Mullally (who either needs to become a regular on Parks & Rec or star in her own show or better yet both!).
Tuesday, December 6th
Teen Mom 2, season premiere at 10pm on MTV
– Teen Mom 2 is a spin-off of the MTV documentary series 16 and Pregnant. The show follows the stories of four girls from the second season of 16 and Pregnant and documents the challenges of their first years of motherhood. Each episode interweaves stories of four teenage girls who are navigating the bumpy terrain of adolescence, growing pains, and coming of age – all while facing the responsibility of being a young mother. Each story offers a unique look into the wide variety of challenges young mothers can face: marriage, relationships, family support, or lack thereof, adoption, finances, rumors among the community, graduating high school, starting college, getting (or losing) a job and the daunting and exciting step of moving out of the nest to create their own families.
Hidden City, series premiere at 10pm on Travel
– Cities are more than brick and concrete. They’re made of stories. And the best stories are usually about the worst people. Acclaimed thriller novelist Marcus Sakey knows good stories—and bad behavior. To research his bestselling books, he’s traveled the country with cops and killers alike. Now Marcus goes from city to city to identify three crimes or criminals that reveal the real character of the place. In Hidden City host Marcus Sakey travels to cities across the US to investigate the crimes and criminals that helped shape the city. With each story he tries to get inside the heads of those involved. As Marcus travels, he’s packing his preconceived notions, his attitude, and his willingness to be unimpressed. He’ll walk the streets, meet the characters, and take a few bruises, all to get the stories that reveal the Hidden City.
Storage Wars Texas, series premiere at 10:30pm on A&E
– A&E’s top-rated non-fiction franchise heads to the Lone Star state to follow teams of bidders on their quest for auction gold. New Texas-based characters include self-employed Lesa Lewis who is searching for items to sell at her brand new thrift store. Her pockets may not be deep, but she is a doggedly determined bidder when she sees a unit she wants. No job is too big for her right-hand man Jerry Simpson, who is always there to lend a hand and share a few laughs. Seasoned bidder Ricky Smith has been in the business since the age of 14, and says he is here to stay. He has spent the past 20 years teaching his nephew Bubba, who attends the auctions with him, the tricks of the trade. New York native Victor Rjesnjansky relocated to Texas, where he bids on storage auctions to fill the shelves of his store. The “fabulous” Moe Prigoff has been collecting modern furniture and antiques for over 30 years and is always on the lookout for new items to sell in his exclusive antique gallery. Rallying the crowd of high bidders is fast-talking auctioneer Walt Cade, who will do whatever it takes to move the units – and land one storage hunter a shot at hidden treasure.
Wednesday, December 7th
State of Play, miniseries premiere at 10pm on BBC America
– BBC America’s latest miniseries is a roller-coaster thriller of deception and collusion in the corridors of power. Written by Paul Abbott (Shameless) and directed by David Yates (Harry Potter), the miniseries features a top-notch cast (Bill Nighy, James McAvoy and Boardwalk Empire’s Kelly Macdonald) who bring killer performances. A dynamic combination of murder, suspicion, deceit and intrigue, State of Play examines the tumultuous world of respected journalist Cal McCaffrey (John Simm) and his sarcastic newspaper editor Cameron Foster (Nighy) as they attempt to unearth the connection that two unrelated murders have with a prominent, yet deceptive politician (David Morrissey). Revelation upon revelation pile up in the aftermath of these two seemingly unconnected events, ultimately bringing to light shady dealings between the government and major corporate powers. Friendships are tested and lives are put on the line as an intricate web of lies unfolds.
Saturday, December 10th
Spike TV’s 2011 Video Game Awards, special awards show from 8 to 10pm on Spike
– Star of NBC’s Chuck, voice actor for “Fallout: New Vegas” and “Halo: Reach” and video game super fan Zachary Levi will host Spike TV’s 2011 Video Game Awards. Leading the way with 12 nominations at the 2011 VGAs is “Portal 2” by Valve. Rocksteady Studios’ second adventure featuring the Dark Knight, “Batman: Arkham City” garnered 10 nominations, while the third chapter in the Nathan Drake adventure, “Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception” by Naughty Dog and independent game “Bastion” rounded out the top most- nominated games with 9 and 5 nods each, respectively. This year, Spike TV will be bestowing the Gamer God Award upon the three founders of Blizzard Entertainment for their immense contributions to the electronic gaming medium as creators of the “World of Warcraft,” “Starcraft” and “Diablo” entertainment universes. Audience members and viewers will also be treated to a live performance by The Black Keys, who will perform their video game hit, “Lonely Boy,” and the duration of the festivities will feature Grammy nominee and dance music innovator deadmau5, who will transform the show with his visual representation of sound into a real life video game experience.