Sunday, July 17th
Zen, miniseries premiere at 9pm on PBS
– What does an honest cop do when his bosses are on the side of the lawbreakers? Outwitting prosecutors, politicians, mobsters and run-of-the-mill kidnappers and killers, Detective Aurelio Zen brings justice to modern-day Italy, whether the authorities want it or not, on Zen, a trio of spellbinding cases based on the bestselling novels of by British crime writer Michael Dibdin. Rufus Sewell (Middlemarch) stars as Zen, a Roman police detective hailing from Venice, where “Zen” is a local shortening of the name Zeno. Separated from his wife and living with his mother, he is too frazzled by his job to think about romance. That is, until he meets Tania Moretti (Caterina Murino), his chief’s new secretary.
– The Huffington Post says this new series Big Rich Texas makes The Real Housewives franchise look tame. This new reality series follows a group of chic mothers and daughters for a sneak peek inside the exclusive world of Dallas’ elite—and entertaining—social scene. The Post writes, “These Southern ladies trump the “Real Housewives” — all of them — when it comes to displaying the bad behavior of the rich and beautiful.”
Breaking Bad, season premiere at 10pm on AMC
– AMC’s Emmy Award-winning drama about Walter White (Bryan Cranston), a chemisty teacher diagnosed with cancer who turns to making and dealing meth to support his family, is back with a vengeance. In Season 3’s finale, Jesse (Aaron Paul) was on the run, with Mike (Jonathan Banks) in hot pursuit, while Walt negotiated for his life with Gus (Giancarlo Esposito). In a desperate attempt to escape certain death, Walt concocted a disturbing plan — kill his former lab assistant Gale — to provide for his and Jesse’s safety. The scheme ultimately forced Jesse to Gale’s doorstep with a gun while Walt was held hostage in the Superlab. This season, Walt and Jesse must cope with the fallout both personally and professionally. Tension mounts as Walt faces a true standoff with his employer, Gus, with neither side willing or able to back down. Walt must also adjust to a new relationship with Skyler (Anna Gunn), whom while still reconciling her relationship with Walt, is committed to properly laundering Walt’s money and ensuring her sister Marie (Betsy Brandt) and an ailing Hank (Dean Norris) are financially stable.
Bar Rescue, series premiere at 10pm on Spike
– Bars mean money, but they also mean stress if they aren’t properly run. Jon Taffer is a bar and nightclub owner who has started, flipped, or owned over 600 bars and clubs in his career and currently owns one of the most highly respected consulting firms in the bar and nightclub industry. Jon will travel around the country and employ his expertise to return struggling bars to the cash cows they once were. Everything from the science of the perfect pour, to the height of the bar stools is a key factor in making a bar the hottest place in town.
Monday, July 18th
Hell’s Kitchen, season premiere at 8pm on FOX
– Get ready for the heat of Hell’s Kitchen as superstar chef Gordon Ramsay ushers in the series’ red-hot ninth season with 18 new competitors. These aspiring restaurateurs will brave Ramsay and his wrath as he once again puts the competitors through rigorous challenges to see who has the skill and passion to win a life-changing prize: a head chef position at BLT Steak in New York City. Ramsay’s culinary challenges will range from the cute and cuddly as the chefs cook a “Mommy and me” meal for a room full of moms and toddlers, to the sublime as the chefs are challenged to cook using different types of beer as the basis for their recipes.
Giuliana & Bill, season premiere at 8pm on Style Network
– Once upon a time, E! News anchor Giuliana DePandi and Apprentice winner Bill Rancic fell in love, got married and settled down…in Chicago and L.A.! Now in season 4, the couple will finally decide to live together in one of the two cities after living apart for several years, and they will also make another go at trying to have a baby.
Tuesday, July 19th
– Lisa Kudrow co-created, produces and stars in this outrageous therapeutic send-up as Fiona Wallace, a therapist with no patience. Originally produced as a series of webisodes, this new series features a unique visual format and an A-list guest cast who, along with Kudrow, improvises their performances with hilarious results. Vain and pampered with a completely outsized opinion of herself, ersatz online therapist Fiona is every patient’s worst nightmare. The wife of a successful attorney and the daughter of privilege, Fiona is clearly more interested in establishing an online franchise than she is in helping anybody in need. Tired of hearing about people’s dreams and feelings for fifty long minutes at a stretch, she devises a new kind of treatment, the three-minute video chat. And still, the sessions end up being largely about her. Even stranger, the unsuspecting patients keep showing up.
Wednesday, June 20th
Hollywood Hi-Tech, series premiere at 9:30pm on DIY
– This first TV series devoted to lifestyle electronics and custom installation, documents lifestyle-technology expert Janna Robinson as she goes into a Hollywood star’s home to give one room the ultimate technology makeover, using state-of-the-art, high-end gear to completely transform the space. The series features some of Hollywood’s best-known celebrities: Academy Award winning director Oliver Stone, Entertainment Tonight special correspondent and co-anchor Nancy O’Dell, Entourage star Kevin Connolly, comedian Adam Carolla and actor Patrick Warburton, of the TV comedy series Rules of Engagement. The celebrities are involved in the entire makeover process, from the initial consultation with Janna through construction and installation to the unveiling of the finished room.
– The hit reality series follows teams of bidders looking to score it big in the high stakes world of storage auctions. In season two the hunt continues as the fortune foursome blaze through Southern California storage facilities — but with new enemies and higher stakes, finding auction treasure has never been more difficult. Dave Hester opens an auction house, forcing a sizable investment that could destroy his “Mogul” status. Troubles at home sideline Darrell Sheets’ business, causing the “Gambler” to take desperate measures. And the rivalry between them both has never been more heated. Meanwhile, Jarrod and Brandi open an annex to their shop, laying down the gauntlet to their bankrolled competition.