Sunday, June 26th
BET Awards ’11, awards show from 8 to 11pm on BET
– Chris Brown and Lil Wayne grabbed the most nominations with six and five respectively. Their collaboration with Busta Rhymes, “Look At Me Now“, is nominated for Video of the Year. Also, former collaborators, Rihanna, Kanye West, and Drake, follow closely behind with four nods each. Queen Latifah, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber, Gladys Knight, Nicki Minaj, Ne-Yo, Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Patti LaBelle, Trey Songz, Lil Wayne, Drake, Chris Brown, Alicia Keys, and Cee Lo Green are all scheduled to perform. Comedian/rapper Kevin Hart (aka Chocolate Drop) will host the event.
Leverage, season premiere at 9pm on TNT
– This little action-packed and clever show with a Robin Hood undertone has a coveted position on my TIVO for profiling a team of thieves at the top of their game who use their “skills” to help victimized people in a manner the law can’t. Since we last saw the Leverage crew in the season three finale, the team was laying low after finally fulfilling their obligation to a mysterious Italian agent who blackmailed Nate into hunting down a nefarious financier. The ordeal seems to have opened up a new side of Nate, who is more determined than ever to focus on bringing down bad guys. He is also reluctant to deal with the uncomfortable dynamic between him and Sophie after the two wound up in bed together. The fourth season opens in epic fashion as the team heads to the rugged mountains of Alaska to help a woman whose husband has disappeared, possibly as a victim of foul play. More than any previous job, this one will push the Leverage team to the edge of endurance in one of the world’s harshest terrains, where a single wrong step could send them plunging into an almost certain death. This season on Leverage, the team will face bigger challenges than ever before. They will be forced to face the moral ambiguity of what they do as Nate continues to struggle with his inner demons.
– The hit sexy HBO original series set in Louisiana about the love affair between Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin), a telepathic waitress at a bar, and vampire Bill Compton (Stephen Moyer) enters its fourth season this summer. Last season, Sookie and Bill’s relationship went through many rough patches after Bill was kidnapped and held hostage by a vampire King and Sookie went to go find him with the help of a werewolf named Alcide. Bill also learned through Claudine and revealed to Sookie about her heritage as part fairy. Sookie’s fairy blood will allow vampires to “day walk” In the season finale, Sookie was joined by Claudine and other fairies and transported to their world.
Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew, season premiere at 9pm on VH1
– This marks the fifth season of the first television series to chronicle the dramatic, unscripted real life experiences of a group of actual celebrities as they make the life-changing decision to enter themselves into a drug, alcohol and addiction treatment program with the sincere desire to achieve true rehabilitation and recovery. This compelling true account of addiction, healing, and redemption continues to be supervised with great compassion and insight by renowned addiction and recovery expert Dr. Drew Pinsky. The most listened to doctor in America, Dr. Drew is the host of the nationally syndicated radio show Loveline where he has been taking calls from listeners since 1983. This season’s high-profile celebrities include Lindsay Lohan’s dad Michael and Guns N’ Roses drummer and season 2 cast member Steven Adler, as well as actress Sean Young who was the first eliminated contestant on ABC’s new series last winter Skating With The Stars.
The Marriage Ref, season premiere at 10pm on NBC
– Jerry Seinfeld is back and in the producer’s chair for an all-new and improved second season of The Marriage Ref. In this revealing comedy panel series, real-life married couples take center stage as their quirky, funny and relatable disputes are explored, examined – and ultimately judged. For the sophomore run of the show, couples will appear in-studio and face a panel of “experts” composed of top celebrities and comedians who will weigh in and decide which spouse is right. The goal is to give couples something they have always wanted but have never had – a clear winner. At the end of each episode, the studio audience will vote to make one of the winners “The Rightest of the Right.” These winners will receive $25,000 and their very own billboards, in their hometowns, declaring they are right. Comedian Tom Papa (The New Adventures of Old Christine, The Informant!), who was personally chosen by Seinfeld, is back in the center of the action where he serves as the host and the “ref.”
Monday, June 27th
Weeds, season premiere at 10pm on Showtim
– The once naîve suburban soccer mom Nancy Botwin has certainly come a long way in six seasons after in season 1 when she was widowed and left destitute with a family to raise, Nancy turned to drug dealing to make ends meet. Pot-selling single mom turned Mexican mafia princess turned escape artist Nancy Botwin turned herself in to the FBI rather than face certain death at the hands of her vengeful ex Esteban and his goon squad. It’s now three years later and Nancy is sprung from the joint and making a fresh start in New York City. Will Nancy be able to successfully reunite her far-flung family and keep her hands clean?
The Big C, season premiere at 10:30pm on Showtime
– Laura Linney stars in this comedy series about living with cancer. Conservative Minneapolis wife and mother Cathy Jamison let her freak flag fly when she got her cancer diagnosis. She also decided against treatment, at least until her loved ones learned the truth. After spending most of season one ignoring her illness, Cathy Jamison has decided to fight back. “Bring it on,” says Cathy, as she enters an experimental clinical trial while continuing to live life to the fullest in this heartfelt and surprising comedy.
Tuesday, June 28th
I Kid With Brad Garrett, series premiere at 8pm on TLC
6’8’’ comedian Brad Garrett hosts a show where he talks to kids about everything from politics, to religion, to family-life and current events, letting their funny reactions and candid answers take center stage.
Wednesday, June 29th
Melissa & Joey, midseason premiere at 8pm on ABC Family
State of Georgia, series premiere at 8:30pm on ABC Family
– The former The Crosby Show and Disney Channel star Raven-Symoné stars in a new comedy series as Georgia, an aspiring actress from the South with a larger than life personality and her science geek best friend who try to make headway in New York City. The series is already shockingly more risqué than Symone’s previous gigs (she seduces a casting director in the premiere episode) but still features her distinct brand of comedy. Grey’s Anatomy’s Loretta Devine plays Georgia’s Aunt Honey who has a sweet pad, great wardrobe, and unnecessarily overshares about her sex life.
Royal Pains, season premiere at 9pm on USA
– This summer marks the third season of the series about the successful ER doctor turned reluctant doctor for hire serving the rich in the Hamptons. The Hamptons’ hottest doctor-in-demand Hank Lawson finally puts his conscience at ease with making big bucks from people who don’t know what how to appreciate the value of a dollar bill by providing free service to the less fortunate who can’t afford medical care. At the end of last season, Hank and Hamptons Heritage hospital administer Jill finally ended up together, again, only to break up again in the season finale when Jill was offered and accepted a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help launch a group of medical mobile clinics in South America.
Love in the Wild, series premiere at 10pm on NBC
– This exciting new adventure dating series will put relationships to the ultimate test for our amusement. Ten single men and 10 single women, all looking for love, will experience a romantic adventure unlike anything they could have ever imagined. The series will follow them as they head deep into the remote jungles of Costa Rica, paddle down crocodile-infested waters, navigate through bat infested caves, and hang 200 feet above the rain forest floor as they descend down one of the most majestic waterfalls all in the hope of finding that special someone. Sparks will fly and hearts will break.
Necessary Roughness, series premiere at 10pm on USA
– Lets try not to judge too harshly because of the horrible title… Dr. Dani Santino (Callie Thorne) seems to have it all figured out: she’s got a beautiful home, a successful husband, two great kids, and a satisfying career as a psychotherapist. But when she catches her husband cheating, Dani’s perfect world begins to unravel, and she is forced to find a way to keep her family, her finances and her sanity intact. Luckily, a chance encounter with the trainer of the local pro football team offers Dani a chance to show off her counseling skills, and before she can say “Hail Mary,” Dani has taken on the team’s star wide receiver as a patient and become the most sought-after therapist on Long Island. Now, high-profile clients from athletes to entertainers to politicians are clamoring for Dani’s unique brand of therapy during their moments of crisis. But though her career is reenergized, Dani soon discovers that balancing her workload and the new demands of single motherhood won’t be easy. The series is based on the true story of a female psychologist who worked for the New York Jets.
Behind the Music, season premiere at 10pm on VH1
– VH1’s Behind the Music emerged from the cable television jungle of the 1990s to become the most celebrated music documentary series in TV history. BTM blew up the small screen with true tales of drugs and debauchery, breakups and makeups. The show’s addictive portraits of the flipside of pop music stardom became as legendary as many of the bands themselves. The docu-series tells artists’ stories through in-depth, intimate interviews with the artists and their families, friends and colleagues, along with rare and never-before-seen video and film footage. This season features the stories of Nelly, Missy Elliott, and Ice Cube among others.
Thursday, June 30th
Extreme Chef, series premiere at 10pm on Food Network
– Whether extracting ingredients from a block of ice or using a Swiss Army knife as a lone cooking utensil, three chefs are pushed to their physical and mental limits in each episode of Extreme Chef. The series takes chefs out of their kitchen comfort zone to test their wits, adaptability and artistry as they must adapt to extreme conditions and unpredictable factors including swimming across a lake for ingredients and constructing a makeshift stove in only 30 minutes. In a series of arduous challenges, the competitors must impress judges and various guest critics with their unique culinary masterpieces to earn the title Extreme Chef.
Ugly Americans, season premiere at 10:30pm on Comedy Central
– Take New York City, add every horrifying beast, science-fiction freak, and fantasy faerie, shake thoroughly, and you’ve got Ugly Americans. This animated horror-comedy series follows one Mark Lilly, social worker at the Department of Integration, as he helps new citizens both human and “other” adapt to hectic life in the Big Apple. There are easier tasks than weaning vampires off of blood, socializing land-whales, and housebreaking werewolves, but Mark is up to the challenge. Between his stressful job, a zombie roommate, and a demon ex-girlfriend, Mark’s lucky if he can sneak in a few minutes of sleep. But who can sleep when there’s a drop-dead gorgeous Mermaid sitting at the bar?