2011 Billboard Music Awards, awards show from 8 to 11pm on ABC
– Rihanna, Eminem, and Lady Gaga lead the nominations this year. Rihanna takes the lead as a finalist in 18 award categories, including Top Hot 100 Artist, Top Female Artist, Top R&B Artist and Top Dance/Electronic Artist. “Love the Way You Lie,” her chart-topping collaboration with Eminem, places her as a contender in six song categories. Meanwhile, Eminem is a finalist in 16 award categories, including Top Billboard 200 Artist, Top Artist, Top Male Artist and Top Rap Artist. Lady Gaga follows as a finalist in 12 categories, with three releases all competing for Top Dance/Electronic Album: “The Fame,” “The Fame Monster” and “The Remix.” Justin Bieber, Ke$ha, Nicki Minaj, Bruno Mars and Taio Cruz will duke it out for the Top New Artist honors. The iconic star and former Destiny’s Child leader Beyonce will receive the Billboard Millennium Award. Performances by Ke$ha, Ne-Yo, Far*East Movement, OneRebublic, Rihanna, Keith Urban, Black Eyed Peas & Nicki Minaj.
Monday, May 23rd
The Bachelorette, season premiere at 9pm on ABC
– The annoying smiley dentist from Brad’s season Ashley H. is back for a second chance at love. Ashley Hebert couldn’t admit she was in love with Brad Womack – and it might have cost her the final rose – but that’s all in the past. The energetic and vivacious Hebert, who is ready to start a new life with a soul mate she might soon meet, will get a second opportunity to find love when she stars in the seventh edition of The Bachelorette. Ashley H. (I guess the H. is no longer necessary now that she’s the only girl), stronger and more confident than ever, is prepared to find a balance between her career and personal life and find the love of her life. She fell in love once on The Bachelor, so she truly believes that it will happen again – and this time she will be ready and open to express her feelings to the right guy. Boycotting this season because of how annoying Ashley is? I’m super tempted to…
Thursday, May 26th
– Season 8 of the best dance competition on TV features quite a shake-up on the judges panel. In a throwback to the show’s structure a few years ago, Mary Murphy is back as a permanent judge after being temporarily replaced with choreographer Mia Michaels last season and Adam Shankman was demoted from resident judge to guest judge. Hosted by the fabulous Cat Deeley, the hit dance competition series will inspire and amaze viewers as dancers skilled in styles ranging from hip-hop to ballroom compete to be named America’s Favorite Dancer. This season’s auditions feature resident judges Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy, as well as guest judges Robin Antin, Lil C, Tyce Diorio, Toni Redpath and Jason Gilkison. Once the auditions conclude, weekly live two-hour performance shows will air Wednesdays from 8 to 10pm and results shows will air on Thursdays at 8pm.
4th and Forever, series premiere at 9pm on Current TV
– The promising team at Long Beach Poly, helmed by head coach Raul Lara, whose nearly 20 years of coaching experience at his alma mater includes 100 wins in nine seasons as head coach, boasts the largest roster of high school players who have gone on to the NFL, including Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson and Jacksonville Jaguars tight end Marcedes Lewis, among many others. After decades of success, Poly had a down year in 2009. The Jackrabbits had their worst season in 15 years and lost to local rival Lakewood for the first time in more than 25 years. The community is frustrated with the current coaches and, after years of being pegged as “the team to beat,” the aura of invincibility is gone. The players are worried that their hopes for a college scholarship have dimmed. The clock is ticking and the question is: Can the team pull it together for one more season of greatness? And, can the players avoid the temptations of the street, succeed in the classroom, and emerge victorious on the field? The reality series explores how the team is a point of pride for a community that struggles with poverty, drugs, and gangs, and documents the personal relationships the players have with their families on and off the field. For Coach Lara, whose full-time job is working the graveyard shift as a Deputy Probation Officer, the football program provides its players a way out; everyone is pushing ahead for that “golden ticket”: a college scholarship and a better life.
Saturday, May 28th
My Favorite Place, series premiere at 6pm on HGTV
– This new series provides an all-access behind-the-scenes look at the spaces today’s top designers and trendsetters find most inspiring. Designers who inspire us gather their inspiration for the houses and spaces they decorate from many other places. In the premiere episode comedian Kathy Griffin and best friend and TV host Lara Spencer give a behind the scenes tour of Kathy’s Hollywood home that Lara helped decorate with flea market finds. Interior designer to the stars Nikki Chu shows off her glamorous loft in downtown Los Angeles where furniture gets new life. Fashion designer Cynthia Rowley opens up the doors of her New York townhouse where she mixes old and new items to create a whimsical space.
From Spain with Love, series premiere at 9:30pm on Cooking Channel
– Gourmand Annie Sibonney has spent the past five years eating her way through Spain in search of the most memorable meals and culinary pleasures. Live the culinary culture of Spain through the eyes of Sibonney as she experiences the sun-drenched beaches of Mallorca to the rugged Pyrenees, the quaint fishing villages of Galicia to cosmopolitan Madrid. Annie introduces us to everyone from the local restaurateurs and the fishermen to the grandmothers and Michelin-starred chefs. She takes us inside their lives and their culture and we experience first-hand this country’s extraordinary love affair with food.
Revolver Golden Gods Awards, awards show at 10pm on VH1 Classic
– Every year Revolver & Epiphone throw the premiere and only U.S. hard-rock and metal awards show. Unfairly ousted DWTS contestant Chris Jericho hosts the third-annual Revolver Golden Gods Awards. The show has featured appearances by Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Halford, Dave Grohl, Slash, Alice in Chains, Lemmy Kilmister, Dave Mustaine, Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, Zakk Wylde, Kat Von D, and many others.