Sunday August 15th
The Great Food Truck Race, series premiere at 10pm on Food Network
– Food Network Chef Tyler Florence hosts this new series in which seven real teams representing the country’s best food trucks hit the road to cook their way across America. Each week, the teams that sell the most food with the limited budget they are given race on to the next episode. The losing team drives home. In the end, one food truck remains, and the team behind the wheel and the grill wins the $50,000 grand prize. These are great characters with fascinating existing relationships: They’re husbands and wives, brothers and sisters, best friends. And they’re already running the most successful, outrageous food trucks in the country — but never quite like this.
Monday August 16th
Baggage, season premiere at 6:30pm on GSN
– Everyone brings baggage into a relationship—but only on this dating game show do three contestants and one “dater” bring it all to the very first date! On each half-hour episode, host Jerry Springer guides the fun as one dater chooses among three contestants who reveal the intimate secrets and hidden flaw that are typically kept under wraps to impress a first date.
Weeds, season premiere at 10pm on Showtime
– The hit Showtime original dramedy stars Mary-Louise Parker as Nancy Botwin, a pot-dealing suburban housewife. It’s been a wild ride from desperate pot-selling suburban widow to cartel concubine and politician’s wife. Now Nancy is put to the ultimate test of motherhood: protecting her family. Nancy Botwin’s real adventures have just begun in this upcoming 6th season. She and her family are hitting the road with blood on their hands and the Mexican Mafia hot on their tail — and they’re not looking back! But how long can this cat-and-mouse-game continue?
The Big C, series premiere at 10:30pm on Showtime
– This new dark comedy series features acclaimed actress Laura Linney in the role of Cathy Jamison, a reserved, stifled, Minneapolis schoolteacher who receives life changing news and decides, from that moment on, to make drastic, long-overdue adjustments to the way she is living her life. Cathy has always been conservative and structured – the perfect suburban wife and mother. Receiving a terminal cancer diagnosis becomes not only a challenge, but a catalyst for change. Cathy is tired of being “the sensible one” — now she wants to let her freak flag fly. For the first time in her life, she is going to make choices that suit her needs. Who says you can’t eat dessert as an appetizer? Time is precious, and Cathy is grabbing life by the balls… “Precious” breakout star Gabourey Sidibe plays Cathy’s saucy student Andrea, with whom she forms a bond after receiving her diagnosis.
Hardcore Pawn, series premiere at 10pm on truTV
– Meet the Gold family starring in this new reality series about the hardcore world of pawning. As owners of Detroit’s biggest pawn shop, they’ve bought and sold things you can’t begin to imagine. Every day brings new danger as the Golds operate in the heart of one of America’s most troubled cities. With 50,000 sq ft of cash and goods surrounding them, there are millions to be made, but their profits come with huge risk.
Tuesday August 17th
Melissa & Joey, series premiere at 8pm on ABC Family
– ABC Family is now officially the network where former teen stars go in a failed attempt to regain the glory of their once-successful acting careers. This new cheesy half-hour comedy stars Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence, who also executive produce. Hart plays Mel, the grown-up former wild child of a political family who is now a local politician herself. When her sister ends up in prison and her brother-in-law flees after a scandal hits, Mel must take responsibility for her teenaged niece, Lennox, and pre-adolescent nephew, Ryder. With Mel spread too thin to manage by herself, help comes in the unlikely form of Joey who, desperate for a job, moves in and becomes the family’s “manny.”
Big Lake, series premiere at 10pm on Comedy Central
– From the powerhouse comedy duo of Will Ferrell and Adam McKay comes Big Lake, a hilarious new sitcom that proves you can go home again, you just have to sleep on the couch. Josh loses his big city banking job and has to move back home to his parents’ house in Big Lake, PA. He reunites with Glenn, his childhood best friend who’s fresh out of minimum security prison, and their favorite high school teacher Mr. Chris Henkel, all the while dealing with a Dad who’s trying to kick him out of the house, a Mom who may be taking too many diet pills and a seemingly dorky 13-year-old brother who’s secretly running a small criminal empire. Josh needs to find a new job and move off his parents’ couch. But right now he and his friends are too busy with iguanas, fighting bears, Serbian death metal enthusiasts, the Hooded Beast and, of course, Lee Harvey Osworld.
Extreme Cuisine With Jeff Corwin, season premiere at 8pm on Food Network
– Renowned for his expertise in wildlife and conservation, Jeff Corwin sets his sights on exploring human culture through regional cuisine in his first Food Network endeavor. With an open mind (and mouth), this thrilling primetime series follows the passionate foodie and anthropologist as he tears through countries like Thailand, Mexico, Greece, and Peru on radical culinary adventures. Learning from the natives, he samples the exotic foods and local customs that mold each community. Jeff enjoys countless surprises and unforgettable flavors during this fun-filled culinary quest – all in a day’s work!
You’re Wearing That?!?, series premiere at 10pm on WE tv
– WE tv’s new original series showcases mothers and daughters transforming each other and reconnecting inside and out. As a New York-based fashion consultant and host to the series, Luciene Salomone will give input and inspire women to re-style each other’s wardrobe and feel confident in what they wear. The title could stand to be a little less critical though, after all it isn’t like Tyra is judging.
Nightline Prime: Secrets of Your Mind, series premiere at 10pm on ABC
– In this new series, Nightline’s anchors and producers explore the mystery and the science of the brain through a range of extraordinary case studies. The series also features the work of world renowned neurosurgeon Dr. Julian Bailes, of West Virginia University Health Sciences Center, and his patients. Nightline Prime’s Secrets of Your Mind: Why We Do What We Do is a four-part limited series—each installment will focus on a different research area, including love’s impact on the brain, medical emergencies involving the brain, violence and the brain, and food and the brain.
Friday August 20th
The Kids in the Hall: Death Comes to Town, mini-series premiere at 10pm on IFC
– Groundbreaking comedy troupe The Kids in the Hall reunite for an 8-part miniseries. Shortly after the arrival of the Grim Reaper to Shuckton, Ontario on a Greyhound bus, everyone in the small town is implicated when one of its most distinguished citizens is found murdered. “Death Comes to Town,” an original scripted series of eight 30-minute episodes, marks the return of the audacious comedy troupe The Kids in the Hall to U.S. television for the first time since their cult series ended in the mid-1990s. Famous for their distinctive and surreal sketch comedy, all five original members of The Kids in the Hall—Dave Foley, Bruce McCulloch, Kevin McDonald, Mark McKinney, and Scott Thompson—star in IFC’s new scripted comedy series and play almost all of the characters in their trademark gender-bending style.
Saturday August 21st
Garbage Moguls, series premiere at 8pm on NatGeo
This new docu-reality series follows an ingenious group of eco-capitalists at TerraCycle, Inc., a green business that creates and sells products made from non-recyclable waste materials. In the first episode of a three-hour marathon, Pedigree challenges the TerraCycle crew to develop a line of pet products. With a strict two-week deadline, the participants quickly get to work, collecting hundreds of old dog-food bags and using them to make a variety of products, from leashes and collars to dog toys and rain gear. The other episodes’ tasks: create a garbage can from potato chip wrappers and make a suit jacket out of Target shopping bags.