BET Awards 2010, awards show at 8pm on BET
– The BET Awards hits its 10th anniversary as Queen Latifah takes the reins as host of the gala. Prince is on hand to accept the Lifetime Achievement Award, while Kanye West is scheduled to make his first major awards-show appearance since his outburst at the 2009 VMAs. And though Justin Bieber’s nomination for Best New Artist garnered quite a bit of attention, it’s Jay-Z who’s leading the pack of nominees with five nods. T.I., Drake, Eminem, Alicia Keys, Usher and Ludacris are among the many performers slated to take the stage.
The 37th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards, 9pm on CBS
– Among the planned highlights is a tribute to “American Bandstand” and Dick Clark that features Ann-Margret, Frankie Avalon, Chubby Checker, Garth Brooks, Cher, Barry Manilow, and Donny and Marie Osmond. In addition, the Vegas company of The Lion King performs, as well as Blue Man Group and Cirque du Soleil. Host Regis Philbin will attempt to keep everything on track.
– TBS is loco for Coco. Comedian, late-night talker and, yes, rockabilly musician Conan “Coco” O’Brien has found a home — his new late-night talk show is slated to begin on TBS in November. Due to his contract with NBC he can’t make any appearances before than but his writers can! This comedy special is hosted by Conan pal, sidekick and announcer Andy Richter, features the comedy flair of several of Conan’s skilled writers and a musical performance by offbeat comic Reggie Watts. Recorded at the 2010 Just for Laughs festival in Chicago.
– Last season former high school sports legend turned middle-aged high school basketball coach Ray Drecker (Thomas Jane) was divorced and struggling to provide for his kids when his run-down house caught fire. Desperate for cash, he took a second job exploiting his best asset…his package. This dark comedy explores the personal setbacks of a man who resorts to male prostitution in the midst of a troubled economy. The second season will focus on the complex dynamic between Ray and his two female pimps, Tanya and Lenore. Lenore, Ray’s assertive life coach who believes Ray should focus on more high-paying clients, begins taking over the business and tries to edge Tanya out of the company she created, Happiness Consultants (visit the website to view a video of the services they can offer to make your life happier!).
Entourage, season premiere at 10:30pm on HBO
– Remember when Vince bribed a driving instructor to get his license in Season 6? Well, in tonight’s Season 7 premiere, he’s probably wishing he could buy his way out of his latest adventure behind the wheel. In any event, that’s how Eric and Ari feel after Vince agrees to do his own stunt on an action film for Type A-director Nick Cassavetes. But at least Vince is working again, which is more than can be said for Drama, who hears the clock ticking on his career after his Five Towns meltdown.
Monday June 28th
Huge, series premiere at 9pm on ABC Family
– Funny, heartbreaking and provocative, Huge follows the lives of seven teens and the staff at a weight-loss camp, as they look beneath the surface to discover their true selves and the truth about each other. Nikki Blonsky stars as Willamina, a teen whose sardonic and rebellious nature make her a menace to some and revolutionary to others.
Intervention, season premiere at 9pm on A&E
– The Emmy award-winning reality series that follows addicts of all kinds whose dependence on drugs and alcohol or other compulsive behavior has brought them to a point of personal crisis and estranged them from their friends and loved ones. Each Intervention episode ends with a surprise intervention that is staged by the family and friends of the alcohol or drug addict, and which is conducted by one of two Intervention specialists: Jeff VanVonderen and Candy Finnigan. This gripping television series forces real addicts to confront their darkest demons and seek a route to redemption.
Obsessed, series premiere at 10pm on A&E
– Intense and highly personal, this true-life docuseries takes viewers inside the minds and lives of Americans whose anxiety disorder has taken complete command of their existence, making them prisoners of their uncontrollable thoughts and ritualistic behaviors. From OCD to agoraphobia and germophobia, the series documents both the individual’s afflictions and their courageous attempts to defeat and overcome them. Highly trained therapists use desensitatization and exposure therapy, coaching the patients through exposure to the causes of their anxiety until the feelings begin to fade.
Make It or Break It, season premiere at 10pm on ABC Family
– The tween drama series follows the lives of 4 competitive gymnasts at the Rocky Mountain Gymnastic Training Center as they strive to make it to the Olympics. In the season finale, the Rock girls competed against the Chinese national team (and win five medals) against the advice of the US Gymnastics National Committee. But the Rock gymnasts and their coach are also being called renegades – a label that could hurt them in the eyes of the National Committee. It’s a risky choice to go against the National Committee — one that could have serious ramifications. Kaylie risks losing her endorsements by competing in the invitational, and Emily could lose her scholarship. In the season opener, the National Team have a peek at who goes to compete in France, and the girls are not that confident that they will make the cut.
Tuesday June 29th
Rescue Me, season premiere at 10pm on FX
– The hit FX original series follows the professional and personal lives of a group of NYC firefighters in Ladder 62. Dennis Leary stars as veteran firefighter Tommy Gavin who is plagued by domestic problems, alcoholism and post 9/11 trauma. Tommy’s cousin and best friend Jimmy Keefe died on 9/11 and visits Tommy in visions. In the season finale cliffhanger, Teddy shot Tommy twice in the shoulder leaving him to bleed to death and threatening anyone who tries to get help. In the season opener, Tommy tries to be a changed man after his vision of the afterlife. He is also uncomfortable when he discovers his colleague Franco has been visiting his wife Janet everyday during his absence. Tommy and wife Janet are at another crossroads, both torn between putting the past behind them and whether Tommy can really change. Meanwhile, Ladder 62’s bad reputation put it at the top of the list of firehouses the Mayor will shut down in light of the recession.
– Louie is a semiautobiographical comedy filtered through the observational humor of Louis C.K. (who has a recurring role on Parks and Recreation as Leslie Knope’s police officer boyfriend). Each episode puts a spotlight on Louis’ hectic life as a successful stand-up comedian and newly single father raising his two daughters. The single-camera comedy is a mix of Louis C.K.’s stand-up comedy and scripted short films. Louie C.K. stars as well as executive produces, writes and directs.
Wednesday June 30th
Locked Up Abroad, season premiere at 10pm on NatGeo
– The hit British docudrama series tells the stories of people who have been arrested while traveling abroad, usually for trying to smuggle illegal drugs out of a particular country and have received lengthy prison sentences as a result. The episodes are composed with a mix of original interview footage and reconstructed footage of their journey. The seventh season of the British docudrama series premieres with the gripping episode “Istanbul/The Real Midnight Express.” The Oscar-winning 1978 film “Midnight Express” told the story of 23-year-old college student Billy Hayes- his imprisonment for drug smuggling and his escape from a prison in Istanbul, Turkey. But for legal reasons, neither the film nor the book, authored by Hayes, was completely accurate. Now, Billy tells the full story of being sent to the infamous Turkish Sagmalcilar prison and eventually escaping.
Man Shops Globe, season premiere at 10pm on Sundance
– This travel/shopping series follows Keith Johnson, Buyer-at-Large for Anthropologie, who travels six months of the year, to ends-of-the-earth excursions, from flea markets in Paris to remote villages in India and obscure art studios in Turkey. In each episode, Keith travels to a new country in search of fantastic and unusual decorative objects, furniture, and textiles. In out-of-the-way antique shops, private dealerships and craft stalls, Johnson looks for one-of-a-kind home furnishings and accessories. He also seeks out the world’s best artists and crafts people.
The Real World: New Orleans, season premiere at 10pm on MTV
– After 23 seasons, MTV has run out of ideas and is returning to New Orleans, the location of the infamous 9th season, for its 24th. And all I can think about is a) is this show for real still on the air considering how Jersey Shore, which is from the same network, showed how much more entertaining it can be when you add ethnic stereotypes to the mix? And b) am I that old that all I can think about is the original The Real World: New Orleans? Anyway, the 2010 cast consists of a hockey jock from Wisconsin who got addicted to pain meds after a serious injury, a white girl who supports gay marriage and the legalization of marijuana and prefers black men, a sexy black ladies’ man who’s a stand-up comic and works at the State Department, a Lebanese-American singer and actress who’s a strong-willed liberal Muslim, a Jersey girl who was captain of the basketball team at Northeastern University, a young proud gay black man with no filter and a bitchy side (also the perpetrator of a police incident against a fellow roommate), a sorority girl from UCF who is a devout Catholic who likes playing the good girl card, teasing boys like crazy and drinking excessively.
Thursday July 1st
CMT Presents Jimmy Buffett & Friends Live From the Gulf Coast, live concert special from 8 to 9:30pm on CMT
– Jimmy Buffett and Kenny Chesney perform at this relief concert for those affected by the BP oil spill
Saturday July 3rd
The Tour de France, special sports event from 11:30am-2pm on Versus
– Running from Saturday July 3rd to Sunday July 25th 2010, the 97th Tour de France will be made up of 1 prologue and 20 stages and will cover a total distance of 3,642 kilometres.
Dolly Celebrates 25 Years of Dollywood, special from 8 to 9pm on Hallmark
– Dolly Parton is making the quarter-century milestone for her Southern-friend amusing park with this special that includes pals like Kenny Rogers, Billy Ray Cyrus and Miley Cyrus performing. Dollywood features everything from roller coasters to a bald-eagle sanctuary.