Which celebrity is struggling to lose 75 pounds on camera while caring for his/her 8 lemurs? Who in the world even has 8 lemurs (lemurs are those adorable creatures from Madagascar)?!? Would you enjoy watching 3 hard-to-please judges berate mega-celebrities the likes of Evan Lysacek, Pam Anderson, Buzz Aldrin, Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger, and supermom Kate Gosselin on DWTS’s most interesting season yet? Could you blame a high school chemistry teacher with terminal lung cancer and whose son has cerebral palsy for turning to a life of producing and dealing crystal meth to pay for his family’s needs? Or perhaps you would love to see TV with a healthy Oliver twist on food? All this and more in store for you this week in TV.
Sunday March 21st
Life, mini-series premiere kicks off with back to back episodes at 8pm and 9pm on Discovery, TLC, and a whole slew of other channels.
• Nature buffs and Plant Earth fanatics have I got a treat for you from the Discovery Channel. This 11-part documentary series about nature narrated by Oprah Winfrey has been 4 years in the making. Life exposes the extraordinary and unusual behaviors all types of living creatures employ to keep themselves and their species alive. It really is astonishing what these camera crews were able to capture in superb HD. Ken Tucker of EW absolutely raves about it.
• The Emmy-award winning series returns for its 3rd season. In season 1, Walter White (Bryan Cranston) was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and he turned to a life of crime, producing and selling meth with his former student Jesse in a desire to secure his family’s financial future. This new season is going to focus on Walt trying to get his family intact after his wife discovered his dark secret. In the opening, Walt has to deal with the aftermath of the plane crash and the 167 casualties for which he is responsible. Also, Jesse is sober for the first time in the series and struggling not to relapse.
Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution, Sneak Preview 10pm on ABC. 2 hour premiere on Friday at 8pm.
• Jamie Oliver aka The Naked Chef is a world-renowned English chef who has hosted over 15 food shows and TV specials. In this six-part series, the impassioned chef is taking on obesity, heart disease and diabetes in the USA, where our nation’s children are the first generation NOT expected to live as long as their parents. Jamie heads to Huntington, West Virginia, which has been called the unhealthiest city in America to change the way we eat and eradicate our nation’s dependency on fast food. Through his efforts in this one town, he hopes to start a chain reaction of positive change across the country.
Kirstie Alley’s Big Life, series premiere on A&E with back-to-back episodes at 10pm and 10:30pm
• The Emmy-award winning actress’ struggle with weight has been ruthlessly publicized in the media for the last couple of years. This new reality series chronicles Kirstie’s comedic and unique take on her battle with weight loss as she aims to lose 75 pounds, which coincides with the launch of her new weight loss company. Cameras also follow Alley’s daily routine of raising her two teenage kids as a single mom and caring for a zoo-like collection of animals, including eight ringtail lemurs.
Monday, March 22nd
Dancing With The Stars, live 2-hour season premiere at 8pm on ABC
• DWTS’s 10th season looks very promising as the reality hit returns with a revised format featuring only 11 contestants versus last season’s whopping 16. This looks to be the most interesting cast yet, including Olympic gold medalist Evan Lysacek, the Jon & Kate Plus 8 star Kate Gosselin, Buzz Aldrin, Pamela Anderson, latest Bachelor Jake Pavelka, Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger, 90210 Shannon Doherty… you get the point, there’s a lot of interesting contestants. New co-host Brooke Burke, a model and Season 7 DWTS Champion, replaces Samantha Harris who left to focus on her journalism career. Also, Damian Whitewood from the amazing Broadway Ballroom hit Burn The Floor, joins the cast of professionals as Pamela Anderson’s partner. I’m totally there, are you?
Nurse Jackie, season premiere at 10pm on Showtime
• Edie Falco plays a pill-popping know-it-all ER nurse in this dark comedy series returning for its 2nd season. The show continues its look deep inside the complicated heart and soul of a functioning addict, a loving wife, mother, and a first-class nurse who isn’t above bending the rules in order to get her patients what they need, even if it is a stolen organ.
United States of Tara, season premiere at 10:30pm on Showtime
• The Emmy-winning comedy hit from Juno writer Diablo Cody about suburban housewife Tara Gregson (Toni Collette) with multiple personality disorder returns for its sophomore season. Last season, after meeting face-to-face with her alleged attacker, Tara appeared to be at peace and released herself from the hospital to reunite with her family. This season Tara has to admit to herself that she doesn’t want to give up her alters.