Monday, January 3rd
The Bachelor, season premiere from 8 to 10pm on ABC
- The self-proclaimed “most controversial season of The Bachelor so far” all hinges on the fact that the infamous season 11 bachelor Brad Womack who chose NOBODY in the end has come back to find his wife after three years of self-reflection and intensive therapy. After Brad left both Jenni Croft and DeAnna Pappas crying and alone in the season finale, he was the most hated man in America. Thereafter, Brad describes a journey of working on his commitment issues, which all stem from being abandoned by his father as a child. The biggest challenge for Brad? Proving to the new bachelorettes that he is really a changed man and that he won’t have a problem picking a woman he loves to be his wife. He also has to prove that he isn’t a total a**hole.
Pretty Little Liars, midseason premiere at 8pm on ABC Family
- In the little town of Rosewood, four estranged friends are hiding dark secrets that, if exposed, could ruin their almost-perfect lives. One year ago, Alison, the Queen Bee of their group, disappeared and the girls swore they’d never tell what really happened that night. They thought their secrets would bond them together, but just the opposite is true. Now, as the mystery surrounding Alison’s disappearance resurfaces, the girls begin getting messages from “A,” saying – and threatening – things only Alison would know. But it couldn’t be Alison. Could it? Whoever it is, they seem to know all the girls’ secrets, and seem to be watching their every move. In the summer finale, a new piece of evidence led the police to officially announce that Toby Cavanaugh is wanted for the murder of Alison DiLaurentis, though Emily, Spencer, Aria and Hanna have their doubts they’ve nabbed the right suspect. When Hanna is abruptly dumped from the guest list of Mona’s birthday party, the rest of the girls plan to attend to scope out the scene and see if “A” is also in attendance. Later, Hanna sneaks into the party and finally spots the elusive “A” leaving behind a clue, but shortly thereafter “A” retaliates by running her over with a car.
Greek, season premiere at 9pm on ABC Family
- The ABC Family original dramedy follows the students at Cyprus-Rhodes University whose life focuses on the social minefield that is the Greek system, centering on the fictional fraternities, Kappa Tau Gamma (ΚΤΓ) and Omega Chi Delta (ΩΧΔ), and the fictional sorority, Zeta Beta Zeta (ΖΒZ). The show stars active Zeta member Casey (played by Kelsey Grammer’s daughter Spencer), who is in a love triangle with Kappa Cappie and Omega Chi President Evan all throughout college. At the end of last season the Gamma Psi (ZBZ’s rival) house burns down, and the ZBZ house is to blame but eventually Casey breaks down from the guilt and confesses what happened. In the final episode Cappie tells Casey he loves her and wants to lavaliere her. Casey she tells him she’s decided to go away to George Washington Law School after all, sending Cappie into a rage and ending with him breaking up with her. The fourth and final season opens with Casey, Evan, & Ashleigh‘s graduation day from Cyprus-Rhodes and Casey preparing to move away to Washington, DC.
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, season premiere at 9pm on Food Network
- As host of the hit primetime game show Minute to Win It, it’s a wonder that the bleach-haired Guy Fieri also finds the time to host three other shows on the Food Network! The season 2 winner of The Next Food Network Star is certainly taking that title seriously. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives are popular again thanks to faithful baby boomers, a slew of younger fans and a whole new generation of owners. Hit the road with Guy as he travels across the country visiting classic “greasy spoon” spots, from a roadside shack in Tarpley, Texas to a Las Vegas sports bar with stellar stromboli.
In The Bedroom With Dr. Laura Berman, series premiere at 10pm on OWN
- Dr. Laura Berman wants you to have great sex. With more than 20 years of experience as a sex educator, researcher and therapist, Dr. Berman has the tips and tricks you and your partner need to uncover what’s really going on between the sheets. Watch as this New York Times best-selling author and a Sirius XM radio host makes house calls to help couples confront their intimacy issues head on. No issue is off limits with Dr. Berman and she isn’t afraid to talk specifics.
Tuesday, January 4th
The Biggest Loser: Couples, season premiere from 8 to 10pm on NBC
- The 10th season of the hit reality competition series revolves around the new theme of “paying it forward” and 21 contestant hopefuls vying for a spot at the ranch to get healthy and change their lives forever. With obesity now one of the leading causes of preventable death in the United States, The Biggest Loser wanted to broaden their reach this season, pay it forward and motivate communities – not just contestants – to get healthy. So trainers Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels and host Alison Sweeney travel to seven cities in the premiere episode to put contestant hopefuls through fitness challenges. The two candidates who complete their fitness challenge first win a spot at the ranch. Those who don’t make it will get a chance to vie for a spot on the show in a later episode. The new season players include Burgandy (Eagle Mountain, Utah), a military wife, foster parent and mother of five; Aaron (Kent, Ohio), the son of an alcoholic who hopes to be a better role model to his own son; and Montina (Houston, Texas), a background vocalist for Beyonce who wants to look as good as she sounds.
Live to Dance, series premiere from 8 to 10pm on CBS
- Paula Abdul, the beloved former judge on American Idol, is taking her star power and legion of worshippers to a new network to host a reality competition series that is trying to compete with So You Think You Can Dance but really is just a dance-only version of America’s Got Talent. Primarily known as The Paula Abdul Dance Show because Paula is executive producer, creative partner and lead expert for Live to Dance. Oh wait, I almost forgot there are other people on this show besides Paula: rounding out the judges’ panel is Travis Payne, choreographer for Michael Jackson, and founding member of Pussycat Dolls Kimberly Wyatt. Also, an Australian cutie named Andrew Günsberg will take up hosting duties. The show invites dancers with raw ability, in any age group from across the nation (either performing solo or in a group) can audition in any form of dancing – ballet to break dance, tap to tango, or show us something we’ve never seen before with your own unique fusion of styles – rock ballet, hip-hop clogging or contemporary mixed with capoeira. The most talented dancers who make it through the callback process will have the chance to perform live on CBS in the semi-finals and finals, where they will battle for the right to be crowned LIVE TO DANCE champion and be awarded a $500,000 prize.
V, season premiere at 9pm on ABC
- Despite less-than-stellar ratings at the end of its first season, V is returning for a short 10-episode second season that promises to be sharper and more intriguing. The remake of the 1983 miniseries chronicles the arrival on Earth of a technologically advanced alien species which ostensibly comes in peace, but actually has sinister motives. The Visitors, led by their charismatic High Commander Anna, came bearing gifts of medical miracles and technological breakthroughs far beyond our wildest imaginations. As the world’s fascination with the V’s grew, Counterterrorism agent Erica Evans discovered a secret hidden beneath the skin of every V – a secret that may threaten the lives of everyone close to her, including her teen son Tyler who is in a romantic relationship with Anna’s daughter Lisa. Erica assembled a group of people skeptical of the V’s intentions and joined the Fifth Column, V’s living on earth who have turned against Anna’s leadership. Together, they plot to bring down Anna before the V’s are able to carry out their doomsday plan for Earth.
Permanent Mark, series premiere at 11pm on SPIKE
- His name is “Permanent Mark” and he travels the globe seeking out the most unique and the strangest tattoos known to man. Follow tattoo artist Mark Walters as he travels the globe on a quest to find the great masters of tattooing. See how far he’ll go and how much pain he’ll endure for the chance to experience the world’s best ink.
Southland, season premiere at 10pm on TNT
- The gritty “too real for TV” cop drama cancelled by NBC shortly before its second season aired is now embarking on its third season after being rescued by TNT. From Emmy Award winners John Wells, Ann Biderman and Chris Chulack comes a raw and authentic look at a police unit in Los Angeles. From the beaches of Malibu to the streets of East Los Angeles, Southland is a fast-moving drama that will take viewers inside the lives of cops, criminals, victims and their families. Michael Cudlitz (A River Runs Through It) plays John Cooper a seasoned Los Angeles cop, assigned to train young rookie Ben Sherman (Ben McKenzie, The O.C.). Cooper’s honest, no-nonsense approach to the job leaves Sherman questioning whether or not he has what it takes to become a police officer. The season 3 opener finds Officer Cooper battling personal demons, dodging bullets during a bank robbery and responding to a violent confrontation at a toy store.
Wednesday, January 5th
Minute to Win It, moved to new night on Wednesdays at 8pm on NBC
People’s Choice Awards 2011, special awards show from 9 to 11pm on CBS
- Sure, celebrities love to be honored by their industry, but what they really live for is the validation of ordinary citizens. Queen Latifah hosts, Kid Rock and Diddy-Dirty Money (is that supposed to be P. Diddy/Diddy? Stop changing your name dude, you will always be P. Diddy!) perform, and stars like Ashton Kutcher and Stephen Moyer present trophies. See if your esteemed favorites like Inception and guilty pleasures (Jersey Shore!) pick up trophies tonight. As much as I love any excuse to see the cast of Jersey Shore, I won’t be tuning in because I can’t bear to watch the cast of Twilight win any more undeserved awards, especially the stupidly awkward Kristen Stewart who is painful to watch.
Are We There Yet?, season premiere at 10pm on TBS
- The TBS comedy series is loosely based on the 2005 film of the same name and its 2007 sequel Are We Done Yet? America’s favorite blended family is back in the neighborhood for a second season. Terry Crews and Essence Atkins star in this popular sitcom as a newly married couple adjusting to life as newlyweds and the complexities of raising children, while also dealing with the everyday challenges of romance, friendship and the drama of extended family. Teala Dunn and Coy Stewart co-star as Nick and Suzanne’s children, 14-year-old Lindsey and 10-year-old Kevin. Keesha Sharp is Suzanne’s best friend and coworker, Gigi, who has a taste for men and the finer things in life. Special guest star, Ice Cube will return as Suzanne’s brother, Terrence.
Thursday, January 6th
Winter Wipeout, season premiere at 8pm on ABC
- The sadistically hilarious summer fave returns for a new run filled with snowy, wintery obstacles (“Nana’s House” and “Snowplow Sweeper” are ice-cold brutal) and John Henson’s subversively salty quips. Snowflakes aren’t the only things falling and flying through the air, as snow balls are hurled at contestants, who are themselves literally launched into the frozen tundra. Expect an avalanche of laughs as they take on a spinning ski lift, try to outrun polar bears and avoid hockey pucks to the head — all in a completely new winter Wipeout Zone and amid a snowy blizzard — on this winterized version of Wipeout. And of course, there are the big balls…it just wouldn’t be Wipeout without the big red balls.
Ace of Cakes, season premiere at 10pm on Food Network
- Be sure to tune in for the 10th and final season of this reality show for sweet tooths. Meet Chef Duff. Shaping cakes with drill saws and blowtorches, and staffing his bakery with fellow rock musicians, he’s not your typical baker. However, he’s one of the most sought-after decorative cake makers in the country. Every week at Charm City Cakes in Baltimore, Duff and his team of artists try to meet the demands of creating up to 20 cakes a week, some of which take up to 29 hours to build! From a tilted Dr. Seuss-like seven-tiered wedding cake to an almost perfect replica of Wrigley Field, Duff can build it. Go behind the scenes to see how he and his fellow cake bakers dish up sugar and spice in the most unexpected and entertaining ways.
Jersey Shore, season premiere at 10pm on MTV
- It’s T-shirt time! New Jersey’s most recognizable guidos are reunited and returning to Seaside, NJ – where all the fist-pumping magic began and a pop culture phenomenon was born – for the hit reality show’s third season. This outrageous and hilarious dysfunctional family goes back to work at the tee-shirt shop, kicks back in their original shore house and picks up right where it left off. Even though they’re still experiencing some fallout from “the note” in Miami, nothing can stop the family dinners, G.T.L and gorilla hunting that have bonded them from the beginning. All seven roomies agree they are glad to be back and that Angelina is gone. Too bad none of them know Snooki has invited her BFF Deena Nicole Cortese to fill the void. This cast is about to double their pleasure because like her diminutive, fireball bestie Snooki, Deena is going to prove that big fun and big drama continue to come in small packages. More zany and entertaining than ever, these roommates are going to hit the boardwalk, beat up the beat in the club and continue to prove that while you can summer a lot of places — the Jersey Shore is truly unforgettable.
Friday, January 7th
Your OWN Show: Oprah’s Search for the Next TV Star, series premiere at 9pm on OWN
- Ten contestants with determination, passion and drive were plucked from obscurity from thousands of auditions to compete to get their own TV show on OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network. Hosts Nancy O’Dell and Carson Kressley guide the hopefuls through intense challenges designed to see if they have what it takes to have their own show. In each episode, the contestants are mentored by A-list hosts. Dr. Phil, Suze Orman, Gayle King and more will make appearances on the series, bestow knowledge to the contestants and judge the episodes. Challenges will range from booking interviews and researching story ideas to successfully completing a pilot presentation. The winner will get his or her very own show!
Merlin, season premiere at 10pm on Syfy
- This fantasy drama series updates the story of the infamous sorcerer of Arthurian legend for a new audience. The mythical city of Camelot is a fantastical realm of legendary beasts and mysterious peoples. A dangerous world in which magic has been banned by the ruthless tyrant, Uther Pendragon. When Merlin, a young man gifted with extraordinary magical powers, arrives in the kingdom, he quickly makes enemies, including the heir to Uther’s crown, the headstrong Prince Arthur. But guided by Uther’s wise physician, Gaius, Merlin is soon using his talents not just to survive but also to unlock Camelot’s mystical secrets. As he does so, he discovers that his destiny and that of the kingdom’s young leader in waiting, Arthur, are inextricably linked.
Four Weddings, season premiere at 10pm on TLC
- What happens when four brides and four weddings compete against each other for the honeymoon of their dreams? Every bride thinks she’s having the perfect wedding, but what if four brides agree to be guests at each other’s weddings to decide which is best? Tune into find out as these brides score each other’s big day for a fabulous honeymoon vacation prize.
Saturday, January 8th
It’s Me or the Dog, season premiere at 8pm on Animal Planet
- From unruly retrievers to pampered pugs, renowned dog trainer Victoria Stilwell has seen them all. But what about the owners who live with them? It’s not just the dogs that need help! This reality series follows Victoria Stilwell as she tries to restore harmony in homes where pets are running riot and the family is in the dog house. The season premiere features The Real Housewife of New York star Jill Zarin, who feeds her chubby Chihuahua Ginger expensive human food like filet minon on a daily basis.